Registration and Records Information

This office provides administrative registration and records support and service to students, alumni, faculty and staff.

Registration and Records Location

The office is located in the Welcome Center.

Contact Us:
Registration and Records, Welcome Center
Henry Ford College
5101 Evergreen, Dearborn, MI 48128
North Drive (see campus map)
Phone: 313-845-6403
Fax: 313-845-6464
Hours of Operation

How to Register for Classes

Please register for classes using WebAdvisor. Payments must be made by the Payment Due Dates listed in the Enrollment Services Calendar. It is a student’s responsibility to make payment by the deadline.

If a student no longer desires to attend classes, the student is responsible for dropping themselves from the course(s). It is important to note that there are times when no refund is given for the dropping of classes. Please refer to the Important Dates for each semester.

Course Waitlist

Students can add themselves to a class waitlist to be notified if a seat becomes available. For more information click here.

Class Load

Full-time student status is defined as 12 to 17 semester hours of credit. The average full-time student usually carries 15 hours of credit. Student are limited to 18 hours unless special permission is granted by the Executive Director of Enrollment Services/Registration or the Vice President of Academic Affairs. Students are expected to carry at least a 3.0 average with a minimum of 12 hours already completed at Henry Ford College in order to petition to carry more than 18 semester hours.

Students in most academic courses are expected to spend the equivalent of two hours of preparation for each hour of class.

Students who are on college parallel programs should choose their college courses carefully, preferably in consultation with a counselor, so that credits will not be lost in the transfer. Transfer equivalency sheets are available in the University Transfer, Advising and Career Counseling Center for most programs offered at Michigan colleges.

Information About College Records:

Student Copy transcripts are available on WebAdvisor. Official Transcripts must be requested using WebAdvisor.

Note: Students who have not attended since 1989 may need to request their academic transcript using the PDF form (may not have a WebAdvisor account).

Residency Regulations

Residency regulations outline the requirements for qualifying as a Dearborn school district student for tuition purposes. Residency must be validated each term. Learn more about Residency Regulations.

Enrollment Verification

For information on required statements provided to insurance and financial institutions regarding enrollment status, hours earned, last term of attendance, GPA, etc.

Late Enrollment in Developmental Classes

There will be no late enrollment in developmental classes following the first class meeting. Associate deans in Math and English should schedule adequate numbers of thirteen or twelve week classes so that no student who arrives late to register is turned away from developmental classes. Annual assessment of this policy will be shared with the Senate and the Scholastic Policies Committee.


Grades are available on My HFC My HFC WebAdvisor.

Incomplete Work

A student may receive an "Incomplete" grade if some part of the course work remains unfinished, provided the student's standing in the course has been satisfactory. A student performing unsatisfactorily in a course may have a final mark of "E" recorded if some part of the course work remains unfinished. A student who receives an "Incomplete" must make up all class work by the mid-semester date of the following semester. If the work is not made up, the "Incomplete" grade will be changed to a DR.

Official Transcript of Credit

An official transcript of credits attempted may be requested online using WebAdvisor. For historical records that are not in the current system, students/graduates should email to have their records updated. Official transcripts are sent directly to a receiving institution and are not issued to the student. A student copy of the transcript may be issued to a student but will not carry the official College seal.

Students must not have a financial balance with the College or other holds to have their official transcript released.

The student’s unofficial transcript is always available online, through WebAdvisor.

Auditing Courses

A student who desires to attend a course regularly but does not wish to receive a grade or credit may take the course as an audit. A record will be kept of the course audited.

After enrolling in the course, the student must apply for audit status at the Office of the Registrar before the class starts. Change of status from audit to credit or from credit to audit is not permitted after the class starts. Students are assessed regular tuition for the course.

A student will receive a mark of audit only if the audit status is specified on the final class.

Records Maintenance

Click for more information on: Address changes, name changes, grade changes, academic repeated courses and academic forgiveness.

Graduation Application and Information

Students should monitor their progression toward degree or certificate completion by logging onto WebAdvisor and selecting Program Evaluation.

Applications for graduation are accepted for three graduation dates (May, August, and December). Diploma packets are mailed 12 weeks after the end of the semester.

The Commencement ceremony is held in May only. August and December Associate degree graduates and May Associate degree applicants who apply by February 15 are invited. Only those students graduating in the current academic year are eligible to attend Commencement.

Advanced Standing - Career Education

Entry into a program of study with advanced standing permits selection of advanced courses only and does not grant college credit for those basic courses that may be waived. In all cases, the number of credit hours required to earn an associate degree remains as stated in the catalog.

Requests for advanced standing should be directed to the Office of Registration and Records or the department or division chairperson at least six (6) weeks prior to the time of enrollment if an advanced class is desired.

Those persons eligible to request advanced standing are:

  • A high school graduate who has completed a specialized high school preparation in the specific area in which advanced standing is being requested. A minimum overall average of 3.0 is required in the specialized area.
  • An individual with extensive business or industrial experience in a particular technology whose experience has been attested to by the individual's employer.

The department or division chairperson may require the applicant to submit examples of work and take a proficiency examination in the field of specialization.

Upon the granting of advanced standing, the department or division chairperson will provide a statement of eligibility for entrance to the next sequential class.

Advanced Standing/Credit for Prior College-Level Learning

This policy has been designed to address the needs of our nontraditional students who may have acquired prior college-level learning and/or skills outside the traditional classroom without having earned college credit.

A student can receive college credit for prior learning that is equivalent to college-level learning (at the 100-level and above) in specific HFC courses under the following conditions:

  • Total credit for prior college-level learning plus total transfer credit shall not exceed 40 credit hours.
  • Only a department/division may identify which, if any, of their courses will be allowed to have credit for prior college-level learning granted.
  • No department/division will be required to grant credit for any course.
  • If program admission, accreditation or licensure issues preclude credit for prior college-level learning, credit will not be awarded for that program.
  • As with transfer of credits from other colleges, credit for prior college-level learning will be granted with no grade and no impact on GPA.
  • A department/division can exempt pre-requisite(s) when deemed appropriate.

Candidate Requirements

  • The student must be degree and/or certificate seeking
  • A degree-seeking student must take course placement tests as part of the College admissions process.

Acceptable Prior Learning Credit

Prior learning may be evaluated through departmental exams or a portfolio evaluation.

  • Departmental Exams — Exams must demonstrate that the student has met the applicable, measurable course objectives as identified on the approved course master.
  • Portfolio Evaluation — The student will prepare a portfolio that documents his or her mastery of the subject matter as identified on the course master. Supporting documentation may include verification of competence (letters, job performance reviews); learning products (essays, work samples, art products, performances, etc.); certifications (business, industry, or professional organizations); recognition of profession or rank, licensure or other direct evidence (publications, test scores, membership requirements, syllabi/learning objectives, job descriptions).

Any appropriate documentation, skill, certifications and/or knowledge acquired by the student and submitted for consideration will be evaluated by the appropriate department faculty. Each decision made by the faculty to grant credit for prior college-level learning must be approved by the associate dean, who will forward the approval to the Office of Registration and Records for posting.

Evaluation of Prior College Level Learning

  • Any department/division that grants credit for prior college-level learning will identify eligible courses in writing and develop a written procedure for evaluating student learning for the course. The procedure must be approved by the division, appropriate educational council, and the College Council to ensure it adequately addresses the course objectives as identified on the course master.
  • The College will provide a mechanism for assisting students in developing a portfolio that meets the requirements of the department for a particular course.
  • Courses for which credit for prior college-level learning will be granted will be identified in the College Catalog.
  • Course masters will be updated to indicate that credit for prior college level learning can be granted for that course and how the learning will be evaluated.

Official Evaluation of Credits from Previous Institutions

All transfer students, as part of their admission to the College, have their previous college course work evaluated. College credit evaluated as transferable to Henry Ford College will be posted to the student’s official academic record. Each transfer student is notified regarding the disposition of his or her transfer credit. Coursework will not be posted with unofficial transcripts.

Courses that have been completed with a C (2.00) grade or better at institutions accredited by one of the six regional accrediting associations in the United States will be accepted on a credit-hour basis. Courses submitted for transfer must be of college-level work. Credit for developmental courses will not be given. Grades and honor-point averages are not transferable.

ACE Recommendations

Henry Ford College is pleased to offer credit to our veteran’s based upon ACE Recommendations. Upon receipt of the AARTS or SMART documents, containing ACE recommendations, the College will evaluate and post the applicable credit.

Advanced Placement/CLEP

Henry Ford College accepts credit from Advanced Placement (College Board) or CLEP examinations.

Eligibility for AP/CLEP credit will be determined upon receipt of a student’s official document at which time the document will be evaluated, equivalencies determined and credit posted as “transfer credit”. The scores for AP and CLEP credit granting can be found online on the Admissions page and then selecting, "Transfer Credits to HFC".


Transfer IN to HFC
College level coursework from regionally accredited colleges and universities with a "C" grade or better will transfer in. Grades and Grade Point Averages (GPA) do not transfer.

Transfer OUT from HFC
Find links to other colleges that post transfer equivalencies from HFC.

HFC Final Exam Schedule

Click here for the Final Exam Schedule