High school and college together

If you are a high school student, HFC's dual enrollment and related programs allow you to take approved HFC courses for college credit, and have the tuition costs covered by your high school.

Are you a high school student looking to get a head start in your college coursework? Is there a course you are interested in that is not offered by your high school? Henry Ford College offers many opportunities to help you accelerate your education. Be prepared: You will need to be academically dedicated and willing to attend school full-time to achieve your goals through these programs.

For additional information:
Please call an Enrollment Associate
800-585-HFCC (4322)

Becoming a Dual Enrollment student at HFC

If you are attending high school, you may enroll in college courses through Dual Enrollment. As a high school student participating in Dual Enrollment, your tuition and fees will often be paid by your school district.

Interested? Contact your high school counseling office to discuss opportunities for Dual Enrollment or Advancement Plus.

If you are eligible for Dual Enrollment, your counselor can help you get enrolled.

If you are not eligible for Dual Enrollment, we offer multiple programs that are listed on this page. Feel free to browse and find a program that suits your needs.

Apply as a Dual Enrollment Student

How to know if you can sign up for Dual Enrollment courses

You may be eligible to sign up for individual dual enrollment courses at Henry Ford College if:

  • Career, academic, and technical courses are not offered by the public school in which you are enrolled; or
  • Career, academic, and technical courses are offered by the public school in which you are enrolled, but you cannot take those courses because of scheduling conflicts beyond your control. If this is the case, your eligibility to take dual enrollment courses at HFC will be determined by your school. Talk to your school's counseling office.

Assessment, grades, and tuition

Course Placement

  • Dual Enrollment students who are seeking placement in Mathematics, Chemistry, or English courses are required to take appropriate placement tests.
  • If you do not have ACT or SAT scores, or if scores do not meet course requirements, you will be required to take a placement test.


Eligible students may enroll in HFC courses for high school credit(s) or college credit(s), or both. If high school credit(s) is granted, it shall be counted toward the graduation and subject area requirements of your school district.


For students in the Dearborn Public Schools or other school districts that have a formal dual enrollment relationship with HFC, your tuition and any technology, service, course and/or registration fees will be paid for by the school district in which you are enrolled.

If you are not part of a participating district, you may participate in Advancement Plus or other Dual Enrollment programs (see below) with your parent/guardian covering your tuition and related costs.

Registration and orientation

Register for Classes

You will need to meet with your high school counselor before registering for classes at HFC. You may take courses at HFC during your high school district’s regular academic year. It coincides with HFC’s fall, winter, and spring semesters. You may enroll for all times: morning, afternoon, evening, online, and Saturdays.

Follow the registration steps.

Dual Enrollment Orientation

If you are new to the Dual Enrollment program, you will be required to attend a Dual Enrollment Orientation session. These sessions will help you gain a better understanding of what is expected of you as a college student, and will go over some of the major differences between high school and college. DEO will also cover the services available to you on the HFC campuses.

If you are a Dearborn Public School student, you will be able to attend an orientation session scheduled at your high school during the school day. All other students will be able to attend a session on the HFC campus.

For additional information about DEO and to find out session dates =, please visit the Dual Enrollment Orientation page.

Henry Ford Middle College Trade School - for technical and trades careers

Henry Ford Middle College Trade School (HFC MTS) builds upon collective learning experiences in technical skills training and work-based education, and develops secondary education you skills in advanced industry sectors forecasted with high-growth, high-demand occupations. Additionally, our industry partners will prepare you for 3rd party industry-credentialing assessments, state licensure, or a journeyman card. This will validate your knowledge and skills to perform industry-related, job-specific tasks.

Apply to Henry Ford Middle College Trade School

Henry Ford College Trade School offers the following specific programs of study, leading to high-wage careers:

  • Machine Tool Technology/CNC
  • Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC)
  • Computer Information Systems - Cybersecurity
  • Computer Automated Design (CAD)
  • Electrical Engineering Technology
  • Multi-Skilled Manufacturing Maintenance (Mechatronics)
  • Civil Engineering Technology

Certificate and introductory courses:

  • Machine Tool Technology/CNC Certificate of Achievement
  • Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC) Certificate of Achievement
  • Computer Information Systems - Cybersecurity Certificate of Achievement
  • Mobile Application Developer Certificate of Achievement
  • Pharmacy Technician Certificate of Achievement
  • Medical Assistant Certificate of Achievement
  • Drone Technology (Design and Programming)
  • Virtual and Augmented Reality
  • Product Design


Ledgra Johnson
Email: lmjohnson14@hfcc.edu
Phone: 313-317-6616

Secondary Partnerships - for high school and career technical credit

HFC has partnered with area high schools to provide Career Technical Education (CTE) programs and articulation agreements that allow you the opportunity to earn credit for coursework you complete in high school.

If you successfully complete a CTE program at one of our partner high schools, you are eligible to apply for free college credit(s) within three years of your graduation date. The free college credit(s) are listed on your HFC transcripts as a transferred credit.


CTE provides you with academic learning experiences that are relevant to the real world, job-related skills that increase employability, and career pathways that link high school and college education.

Other benefits include:

  1. Reduces your college expenditures and time-to-degree;
  2. High school students can obtain college credit(s) that leads to industry credentials or an associate degree; abd
  3. Personal leadership development in high school CTE clubs collaborate with professionals in employment areas can advance student employment and education.


  1. Download the Secondary Articulation Agreement Packet and work with your high school principal or CTE Administrator to complete the application.
  2. Submit your completed form to:
    Email: academicservices@hfcc.edu
    Subject: Student Application for Articulated Credit


    Henry Ford College
    Academic Services
    5101 Evergreen Rd., Bldg. L-314
    Dearborn, MI 48126-3460

  3. Once your application has been reviewed, you will be contacted by a representative from Secondary Partnerships at HFC.
  4. Complete and submit an HFC Admission Application.
  5. Prior to registering for classes, meet with the appropriate HFC program contact to review college courses at HFC that must be completed in order to receive your articulated credit. Program contact names and information are available from HFC Programs of Study, or by calling Secondary Partnerships at 313-845-9785.

Other types of high school and college together programs

Advancement Plus - for students not enrolled in a participating school district

HFC offers the Advancement Plus program to you if you are identified by your high school counselor or principal as having above-average academic status.

If you are a public, private, or home-schooled student, you may take college courses that are paid for by your parent(s)/guardian(s). This program provides a parallel route for you as a high school student to enhance your high school curriculum, enrich your academic experience, and earn college credit(s) while attending high school. The Advancement Plus program is intended for enrollment in college-level courses numbered 100 and above.

Apply to HFC

Eligibility and Requirements

All current high school students are eligible to enroll as an Advancement Plus student at HFC. We encourage you to speak with your counselor to discuss what classes best meet your needs.

Applying for Advancement Plus

  1. Speak with Your High School Counselor. Discuss with your high school counselor which classes best meet your needs.
  2. Complete an Application to HFC.
  3. Pay for Classes. Our EZ Pay Program is a great way to help pay for tuition at HFC.


Tuition and fees for Advancement Plus are paid by your parent(s)/guardian(s).

Henry Ford Collegiate Academy - diploma and degree in 5 years, for Dearborn School District students

A high school diploma PLUS free college degree in 5 years

If you are a Dearborn Public Schools student, you can earn both a high school diploma and an associate degree in only five years at no cost to parents or you through the Henry Ford Collegiate Academy (HFCA). The HFCA allows you to enter the program during your junior year of high school. Normally, a high school diploma and a college diploma would take at least 6 years to complete (4 high school + 2 college).

For more information, visit the HFCA website.

Apply to HFC

Henry Ford Early College - for health careers

Henry Ford Early College (HFEC) is a five-year program that allows you to complete high school and up to two years of college credit(s) in preparation for a career in health care. You will begin as a high school freshman and may be eligible for employment in the Henry Ford Health System (HFHS) upon graduation.

For more information, visit the HFEC website.

Apply to HFC

Advanced Placement - college credit from eligible high school classes

Advanced Placement (AP) is a program available to selected students in area high schools that provides the opportunity to accelerate your educational program by taking, in your senior year of high school, one or more subjects taught on a college level.

How Advanced Placement (AP) credit works

AP course subjects cover material of a college course and provide you an opportunity to advance your college education before you complete high school.

The College Entrance Examination Board gives Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations that cover advanced work in May of each year. Scores from the AP Examinations are used by HFC and other colleges and universities to determine how much college credit you can receive for any given course.

Information regarding these examinations and dates is available through your high school.

Receiving Credit for AP Courses at HFC

HFC determines what advanced placement courses are eligible for college credit at HFC, as well as the minimum score required.

Students at Henry Ford College who wish to receive Advanced Placement credits must submit an official copy of the Advanced Placement test scores from the College Entrance Examination Board to the Office of Registration and Records at the following address:

Henry Ford College
Office of Registration and Records
5101 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128

After the official transcript and request forms have been received, the Office of Registration and Records will:

  1. Establish an official student record and record the Advanced Placement Course(s) on your official Henry Ford College transcript.
  2. Send a copy of the transcript to you that identifies the Advanced Placement credits that were accepted by HFC.

Questions? Registrar@hfcc.edu

Courses and Credit Hours Accepted

The following courses and credit hours are currently accepted through the College Entrance Examination Board Advanced Placement Program. If you have taken other advanced high school courses that might qualify, please contact registrar@hfcc.edu:

AP Subject Score Required Credits Equivalent HFC Courses
American History 3 or above 3 semester hours HIST 151 or HIST 152
Biology 4 or 5 4 semester hours BIO 131
Chemistry 4 or 5 4 semester hours CHEM 111
Computer Science A 4 or 5 4 semester hours CIS 125
Computer Science Principles 4 or 5 3 semester hours CIS General Elective Credit
English Lang/Comp AND Lit Comp 4 or above in Lang Comp AND 3 or above in Lit Comp 3 semester hours each ENG 131 AND ENG 132
English Lang/Comp OR Lit Comp 3 or above 3 semester hours ENG 131
Environmental Science 4 or 5 3 semester hours BIO 138
French 3 4 semester hours FRE 131
French 4 or 5 8 semester hours FRE 131 and FRE 132
German 3 4 semester hours GER 131
German 4 or 5 8 semester hours GER 131 and GER 132
Macroeconomics 3 or above 3 semester hours BEC 151
Microeconomics 3 or above 3 semester hours BEC 152
Math (Calculus AB) 3 or above 5 semester hours MATH 180
Math (Calculus BC) 3 or above 10 semester hours MATH 180 and MATH 183
Math (Statistics) 3 or above 4 semester hours MATH 141
Music Appreciation 3 or above 2 semester hours MUS 131
Music Literature 3 or above 3 semester hours MUS 132
Music Theory 3 or above 4 semester hours MUS 135
Music Sight Singing 3 or above 2 semester hours MUS 141
Physics 1: Algebra-Based 3 or above 4 semester hours PHYS 131
Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism 4 or 5 5 semester hours PHYS 232
Physics C: Mechanics 4 or 5 5 semester hours PHYS 231
Political Science U.S. Government & Politics 3 or above 3 semester hours POLS 131
Psychology Introduction to Psychology 3 or above 3 semester hours PSY 131
Spanish 3 4 semester hours SPN 131
Spanish 4 or 5 8 semester hours SPN 131 and SPN 132

Dual Enrollment Guide for High School Counselors

Why Dual Enroll at HFC?

Dual Enrollment provides an opportunity for high school students to take HFC courses for college credit(s) and have tuition covered by their high school.

HFC averages over 2,000 dual enrollment students per semester. Dual enrollment students have access to all student services such as free tutoring, counseling, library, etc.

Benefits and Popular Courses for Dual Enrollment

Benefits of Dual Enrollment

  • Earn college credit while still in high school
  • Access courses not offered at the high school
  • Experiential learning in a small class environment
  • Save time and money while getting a head start towards a college degree

Popular Courses for Dual Enrollment

  • ENG 131: Intro to College Writing
  • PSY 131: Intro Psychology
  • CIS 100: Intro to Information Technology
  • SPC 131: Fundamentals of Speaking
  • ART 121: Art History
  • BIO 131: Intro to Biology
  • BEC 151: Principles of Macroeconomics
  • BEC 152: Principles of Microeconomics
  • SOC 131: Intro to Sociology
  • HUM 101: Intro to Humanities

Steps to Enroll Students at HFC

Step 1: Speak with Your Student

  • Discuss responsibilities of enrolling in college courses
    • Importance of passing classes
    • Managing two academic calendars
  • Identify objectives for dual enrollment such as career exploration, transferable credits, or complete general education requirements

Step 2: Direct Your Students to Apply

  • All students must submit a new application online for each semester they wish to dual enroll.
  • Apply to HFC
    • Students who have applied to HFC previously should log in using their email and password they used when they initially applied to HFC. Please note this is not their HFC student portal login info.
  • Students applying to dual enroll for the first time will receive an email within 1-2 business days with instructions on how to set up their HFC student account.
  • Returning dual enroll students will be able to use their established HFC login credentials.

Step 3: Determine if Course Placement is Needed

  • Depending on course selection, students may be required to take course placement at HFC for English and Math
  • SAT scores of at least 470 English or 500 Math can be used to waive course placement

Step 4: Encourage Dual Enrollment Orientation

Step 5: Monitor Course Registration

  • Students will register online using Student Planning through the HFC Student Portal
  • Registration for Fall semester opens in April and for Winter semester in November
  • Students who need helping logging in, may visit the Password Help page or contact the help desk at 313-845-6345

Step 6: Payment

  • Any student interested in dual enrollment who is not a student of Dearborn Public Schools must submit a payment authorization form
  • In order to avoid having students dropped for non-payment, counselors must submit a documented list of students who wish to have their classes protected prior to payment due date via email to Dellonda Bryant, dwbryant1@hfcc.edu
  • Billing process occurs after add/drop date for the semester
  • If tuition is not paid in full, the student is responsible for the remaining balance

Please review the student process on the Get Started at HFC page for more information.