Michigan Transfer Agreement

What is the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA)?
The Michigan Transfer Agreement was designed to facilitate the transfer of general education requirements from one institution to another. Students may complete the MTA as part of an associate degree or as a stand-alone package at a Michigan community college.

What are the minimum requirements to receive the MTA?
To fulfill the Michigan Transfer Agreement, students must successfully complete at least 30 credits of coursework in six (6) defined areas with at least the grade of C in each course.

When is the Michigan Transfer Agreement available for students?
The MTA will take effect for students who begin their studies in the Fall 2014 semester.

Who determines if I have met the MTA requirements?
Individual sending institutions (the one marking your transcript as MTA-Satisfied) determine specific courses to be included in the MTA categories at their institution. Courses that are not transferable, such as those that are developmental or vocational in nature, shall not be included.

What happens if I do not meet the minimum 30 credits required to satisfy the MTA?
The 30 hours must be met, either through taking the courses at the institution or transferring credit back (reverse transfer) to the institution.

What are the categories and courses that meet the MTA requirements at Henry Ford College?
Please see the document below for a listing of courses that are accepted in each category.

How do I apply to have the MTA-Satisfied indication on my HFC transcript?
Students should complete the MTA Request Form, located under the “Forms to Print” section of the Registration & Records webpage.

View the HFC Michigan Transfer Agreement.