Academic advising is about your success.
We are here to support you in reaching your academic goals. Whether you are selecting a program, planning to transfer, or somewhere in between, we are here to help!
Schedule an appointment to meet one-on-one with an Advisor, or drop-in to the Welcome Center for help with a quick question.
Schedule an Advising Appointment
You may choose a virtual or in-person appointment. Login to schedule your appointment:
Your scheduled appointment will be a 30-minute conversation with your advisor about your current semester plans, long-term goals, or other academic questions. During priority registration, it helps to plan ahead and schedule a time slot in advance! In-person appointments can be changed to virtual appointments by emailing email@example.com.
Note: If you are seeking counseling about personal issues or want to have an in-depth conversation about career choices, consider our Counseling office.
Drop-in advising is offered in the Welcome Center Advising Office on a first-come, first-serve basis, and is ideal for quick questions or double-checking information. Because the session is short and you will not meet with your dedicated Advisor, drop-in sessions cannot assist you with long-term planning, academic success planning, transfer questions, and other in-depth services offered during scheduled appointments.
Planning to transfer?
If your goal is to graduate from HFC and transfer to a four-year university, great! Let us help you set a path for success from the beginning of your time at HFC.
Want to bring someone with you? Read this first!
To help you make the best decisions about your future, and to protect your privacy, we have official guidelines about bringing your parents, spouse, friends, or anyone else to your advising sessions.
- Your first advising meeting is focused on you, and will include only you and your Advisor. The conversation is an opportunity for you to express your own needs and concerns in a private, confidential setting.
- After your first meeting, if you want to include a parent or another person at any future sessions, you are welcome to do so.
- If you want to release information to anyone other than yourself, you will have the option to complete an Authorization to Disclose Form. This form specifies what information the College may disclose about you, and who may receive that information. The form also ensures we comply with federal privacy guidelines as outlined in FERPA (Federal Educational Rights to Privacy Act).
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation as we protect your privacy and support you on your path to success!
Advising Tips and Tutorial Videos
VIDEO: How to plan and register for classes:
VIDEO: How to search for in-person, hybrid, and online classes:
Who we are and how we help you
Academic Advisors provide you with support throughout your college career, from application to graduation. An Academic Advisor will be assigned to you based on your program of study. Working regularly with you, we will help you meet your educational goals, from your first day at HFC until the day you complete your degree or certificate.
Detroit Promise Campus Success Coaches provide personal coaching and guidance to Detroit Promise students. They help students navigate the transition from high school to college. The goal is that students will successfully complete college, which can be an associate degree, a technical certificate, and transferring to a 4-year university after graduation.
Advising Information for Parents
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects your student's privacy by requiring HFC to obtain your student's written consent before we can share any academic information with you. Some students choose to keep their academic information private.
You are welcome to join your student in any meeting after their first meeting with an advisor if your student invites you to do so. We will be happy to address individual questions and concerns at these meetings.
For your student to develop independence and self-sufficiency, it is vital that they take the initiative to meet with their advisor and other campus support teams throughout their journey at HFC.
First floor of the Welcome Center, (Building WC)
We offer in-person and online appointments. Call for further details, or make an appointment at the links above.
Monday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Advisors can help you with:
- Program and graduation planning
- Academic success planning
- Transferring to another college after you complete your HFC program
- Course planning and scheduling
- Changing your HFC major or program
- Registration, dropping classes, and withdrawals
- If we can't answer your academic questions, we will refer you to the right place!
- Check your HawkMail regularly for important updates.
- Contact your advisor when you need help, and continue scheduling regular appointments
- Use Student Planning to become familiar with your course plan
- Prepare and bring appropriate resources to your advising appointment, such as a planned course schedule or program evaluation.