Return to Title IV (Federal) Aid Policy

If you receive federal funds as part of your financial aid package and you either officially or unofficially withdraw from all classes during an academic semester, you may be required to return all or a portion of those federal funds. This is called the Return to Title IV Policy (Title IV is a federal statute that relates to federal financial aid).

This website provides basic information regarding the Return to Title IV Policy. The complete policy can be found in the HFC Financial Aid Return to Title IV brochure. The brochure contains very detailed information, as well as examples for how the required calculations are performed.

Withdrawing or Ceasing Attendance: Implications for Federal Financial Aid

It is very important that you attend and complete your classes. If you withdraw from school officially (drop all courses) or unofficially (fail to attend courses or stop attending and do not successfully complete ANY classes with a letter grade of either "A," "B," "C," "D," or "S") before the semester is completed, and you have already received federal financial aid funds, the U.S. Department of Education will initiate a Return of Funds Calculation. This calculation may result in all, or a portion of, your financial aid for that semester being returned to the U.S. Department of Education. This means you will owe those funds back to Henry Ford College. It will be your responsibility to repay these funds in a timely manner.

Repaying Financial Aid Received

If the Return of Funds Calculation determines that you must repay all or a portion of the financial aid you received, you will receive a letter from the HFC Office of Financial Aid notifying you of the amount, and the date for repayment. You can also view the amount you owe by looking at your account via Self Service (login through

The Return of Funds Calculation does not consider the reasons for your withdrawal. It is simply a calculation of how much you must repay. If you are notified to repay all or a portion of the financial aid you received for a semester, the decision is final. The U.S. Department of Education provides no appeal process for the amount you are required to repay. The amount is based on the Return of Funds Calculation due to your withdrawal from classes.

This policy is completely separate from the HFC Tuition Appeal Process.

If you are having trouble repaying required funds, please reach out to the office of Financial Aid to make repayment arrangements. Failure to repay Financial Aid funds owed will result in your not being able to register for subsequent classes, and may result in your being referred to a collection agency.

We encourage you to contact Financial Aid with specific questions regarding this policy.