Financial Aid Census Date and Schedule Changes
Financial Aid Census Date and Adding/Dropping Courses
A student's financial aid award is prepared based on anticipated full-time enrollment. If his or her actual attendance is less than that (e.g., half-time), his or her awards will be adjusted accordingly. In addition, HFC adjusts awards each semester, as required, based on the student’s enrollment as of the “Census Date” for that semester. Specifically, Pell Grant payments will be based on the number of credit hours for which a student is enrolled as of the Census Date for that semester.
- The Census Date for Fall 2015 is Sept. 11, 2015;
- The Census Date for Winter 2016 is Jan. 26, 2016; and
- The Census Date for Spring/Summer 2016 is June 29, 2016.
NOTE: If a student initially enrolls for the semester after the Census Date for that semester, the Census Date for that student will be the date of his or her initial enrollment.
To ensure receipt of the maximum Federal Pell Grant for which students are eligible and to avoid having to reimburse funds already posted their to account, students are STRONGLY encouraged to finalize their course schedule no later than the Census Date.
- Dropping Classes Before the Census Date: A Federal Pell Grant payment made at the beginning of the semester is based on the student’s enrollment as of the day the grant is disbursed. If a student drops any classes between the time of the initial payment and the Census Date for that semester, the Federal Pell Grant may be partially or totally reversed.
- Adding Classes After the Census Date: If a student adds a class after the Census Date for the semester, the student’s Federal Pell Grant will not be increased. Classes added after the Census Date will not be eligible to be counted for Federal Pell Grant eligibility purposes, although they may still be counted for Federal Direct Loan eligibility purposes.