Grants are considered gift aid. Gift aid is the most valued source of financial aid because, unlike a loan, grant money does not have to be repaid as long as enrollment is maintained. Grants are awarded based on need. There are several types of grants available for students.


Federal Pell Grant

Award Range: $290-$2,887/semester
Appears on Award Letter As: PELL

The Federal Pell Grant is a federal program for undergraduate students who have not yet earned their first bachelor’s degree. The data provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) produces an Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which is used in determining Pell Grant eligibility.

The Title IV Consolidation Appropriation Act of 2012 limits the lifetime amount of the Federal Pell Grant Eligibility to 6 years at full- time enrollment. Once a student has reached the Lifetime Eligibility Used the student may qualify for other types of financial aid but will no longer be eligible for Pell Grant.

The amount of Pell Grant funding a student is awarded and/or eventually entitled to receive is based not only on their EFC, but also on such factors as enrollment level, and the number of semesters the student attends during the 2015-16 award year. Students may not receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school simultaneously (e.g. – award period or semester). Students may receive a Federal Pell Grant, in some cases, even if they are attending less than half-time. Financial aid is awarded based on anticipated full-time enrollment. Pell Grant is adjusted based on enrollment as of the Financial Aid Census Date. After the Financial Aid Census Date, regardless of courses added or dropped, Pell Award amounts will not change. If a student enrolls less than full-time, their Pell Grant award will be adjusted (decreased) based on their actual enrollment.

Actual Enrollment Pell Eligibility
12+ Credit Hours (full-time) 100% of Pell Award
9-11 Credit Hours (3/4 time)** 75% of Pell Award
6-8 Credit Hours (1/2 time)** 50% of Pell Award
Less than 6 Credit Hours** 25% of Pell Award

**Students with an EFC greater than $3500 may not be eligible for Pell Grant at enrollment levels less than full time. For specific questions regarding your EFC and Pell Eligibility, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Some of the other policies which pertain to the Federal Pell Grant include:

  • A student must maintain enrollment and attendance during the semester in order to maintain eligibility for Federal Pell Grant funds. Dropping classes (or simply not attending class anymore) before the Financial Aid Census Date usually results in the student owing back the Pell Grant funds associated with that class.
  • If your FAFSA is received by HFC after the close of a semester you have already attended, as part of the current award year, your retroactive reimbursement is calculated based on the number of credit hours successfully completed with an earned letter grade of an “A," a "B," a "C," a "D," or an "S”. Additionally, if you have been selected for verification, all required documents must be on file and you must meet all other eligibility criteria to receive a retroactive award. The last possible day for your valid FAFSA information to be received at HFC for the 2015-2016 award year is the last day of the Spring/Summer 2016 semester, or your last date of attendance for the 2015-2016 award year, whichever is earlier.
  • Students may only receive one scheduled Pell Grant award per award year (for 2015-2016, the maximum award for a student with an EFC of $0 is $5,775). If you are enrolled full-time (12 or more credit hours) during both the Fall 2015 and Winter 2016 semesters, you will NOT be eligible to receive Pell Grant funding for your enrollment during theSpring/Summer 2016 semester. If you are enrolled less than full-time during either the Fall 2015 or Winter 2016 semesters, you may have remaining Pell Grant eligibility for the Spring/Summer 2016 semester; however, the remaining eligibility may be for an amount less than a normal full-time award.
  • The amount of Pell Grant funds a student may receive over his or her lifetime is limited to be the equivalent of 6 years of Pell Grant funding (based on full-time enrollment). The lifetime limit takes into account all Pell Grant funds received by the student from any college they attend(ed) and received Pell Grant funds. Once the lifetime limit has been reached, a student will no longer be eligible for Pell Grant funds at any institution, regardless of their EFC or credits still needed to complete their program.
  • The Federal Government can change (reduce) the funding for this program at any time. back to top

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

Award Range: Maximum of $400/semester (There are no SEOG awards for Spring/Summer.)
Appears on Award Letter As: SEOG

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is available for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need as demonstrated by the lowest EFC. Priority consideration is given to students who receive the Pell Grant. The grant provides up to a maximum of $800 per year. Qualifying students apply for this need-based aid by filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Funding levels for this program are very limited. As a result, fewer than 10% of all Pell Grant eligible students will be awarded SEOG. Interested students should apply early to ensure maximum award consideration. back to top

Michigan Tuition Incentive Program

Award Range: Maximum of $1,354/semester. (Award will only cover tuition charges based on in-district rate.)
Appears on Award Letter As: MTIP2

This reflects the maximum award amount for the 2015-16 academic year. The maximum award amount for the 2014-15 academic year was $1,234/semester. Students who qualify for this program are notified by the State of Michigan Department of Social Services through a letter of eligibility before they graduate from high school or receive a GED certificate. A copy of the eligibility letter, along with a copy of the student’s high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate and proof of U.S. citizenship or eligible non-citizenship status (such as a U.S. birth certificate, U.S. Passport, Certificate of Naturalization or Permanent Resident Card), must be submitted to HFC. Students have up to 4 years after graduation from high school or GED completion to initiate half-time enrollment at a participating college. Once initiated, all benefits must be used within 10 years of high school graduation or GED completion or the student forfeits program eligibility. In addition, in order to be eligible, the student must have graduated from high school or obtained a GED certificate before reaching the age of 20. The Michigan Tuition Incentive Program (TIP) pays for tuition at the in-district rate plus certain (not all) fees for the semester.

Example:An out-of-district student enrolls for 12 credit hours in the Fall semester. (Residents of Dearborn and certain parts of Dearborn Heights are considered “in-district” for the purposes of assessing tuition charges. Students living elsewhere are assessed out-of-district tuition charges). Based on out-of-district tuition this student is charged $158 per credit hour (not including required fees), for total tuition charges of $1,896 (12 credit hours x $158). The in-district rate of tuition per credit hour is $92 (not including required fees). The TIP program will pay up to $1,354 per semester towards tuition and required fees. (12 credit hours x $92 = $1,104, plus an additional $250 towards required fees). If tuition and required fees (based on the in-district rate) are greater than $1,354, either the student (or another source of funding) must pay any remaining balance. This is only an example. Tuition amounts for both in-district and out-of-district students are subject to change at any time.

Students may receive TIP funds to pay for up to 80 credit hours at all schools attended under Phase I. (Once a student has received Phase 2 TIP funding at another school, they are no longer eligible to receive Phase 1 TIP funding at any school.) TIP recipients must be enrolled at least half-time (e.g., 6 credit hours) as of the 100% refund period to be eligible for TIP. TIP recipients must notify the HFC Office of Financial Aid if they received TIP at another institution. Failure to do so may result in the student being billed for all TIP funds received at HFC.

Students must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as defined by the Office of Financial Aid or be on an approved Financial Aid Appeal to qualify for TIP funding.

Students are limited to receiving TIP payments for up to 24 credit hours per academic year. For more information about the TIP program, contact the State of Michigan at 1-888-447-2687. back to top

Michigan Competitive Scholarship

Award Range: $676/year
Appears on Award Letter As: MCS

The award of $676/year reflects the maximum award amount for the 2015-2016 academic year. The Michigan Competitive Scholarship (MCS) is a program funded by the State of Michigan and is based on both financial need and merit. Students may use Competitive Scholarship funds at degree-granting Michigan public and independent post-secondary institutions. Awards are restricted to the cost of tuition and fees. Students must take the ACT Assessment prior to entering college and achieve a qualifying test score. The qualifying ACT Assessment score for the MCS is a cumulative score. This is the total of the four individual ACT Assessment scores, not the composite (average) score reported by ACT. The qualifying score is set each year by the Michigan Higher Education Assistance Authority (MHEAA). Students who have graduated from high school and enter college prior to the date they would normally be expected to graduate from high school may be eligible to compete for the MCS if they take the ACT Assessment test prior to their 18th birthday. To meet the eligibility criteria for the MCS, a student must:

  • Provide his or her Social Security Number (SSN) to SSG by phone by the fall of their senior year in high school;
  • Achieve qualifying score on ACT prior to entering college;
  • Possess a high school diploma or GED certificate or meet the institution’s Ability to Benefit standards;
  • Demonstrate financial need;
  • Enroll at least half time at an approved Michigan community college, public university or independent, degree-granting college or university (cannot be an institution whose primary purpose is to prepare students for ordination or appointment as a member of the clergy of a church, denomination or religious sect);
  • Be a Michigan resident since July 1 of the previous calendar year;
  • Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or approved refugee;
  • Not be incarcerated;
  • For renewal, maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0;
  • For renewal, meet institution’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy;
  • Not be in default on a federal student loan. Students must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Priority in determining awards will be given to students who apply by March 1st of each year. FAFSA information is automatically released to the state agency if the student’s state of legal residence is Michigan. The student must file a renewal FAFSA every year to be considered for the MCS.

MCS assistance is limited to:

  • Completion of a baccalaureate degree;
  • Receipt of 10 semesters of full-time assistance. Students may receive awards as a half-time or three-quarter-time student. Payments are prorated for students enrolled less than full-time; and
  • Ten years have passed since high school graduation or completion of the GED. The maximum award amount is determined each year and approved by the MHEAA. back to top

Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver

Award Range: Tuition Charges
Appears on Award Letter As: MITW

Eligibility for this program is established by the State of Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Applications are available to students in the Office of Financial Aid at HFC. Students must complete the Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver (MITW) Application and attach a copy of their Michigan Driver’s License or State-issued Michigan Identification Card, and a photocopy of their Tribal ID to the application. Applications are mailed to the student’s Tribal Enrollment Department for certification and signature. The Tribal Enrollment Department may submit the form and accompanying documents on the student’s behalf to the Michigan Department of Civil Rights office for verification. The Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver pays for tuition only (not fees). The student is responsible for paying the amount of fees due after the grant is applied to semester charges. Students receiving funds through this program are not required to make SAP in order to continue to receive funds in future terms. For more information about this program, contact the Michigan Department of Civil Rights at (517) 241-7748.

Eligibility criteria for the MITW are as follows:

  • You must be enrolled at one of Michigan’s public colleges or universities;
  • You must have ¼ or more Native American blood quantum as certified by your Tribal Enrollment Department;
  • You must be an enrolled member of a US Federally recognized Tribe as certified by your Tribal Enrollment Department; and
  • You must be a legal resident of the State of Michigan for not less than 12 consecutive months.

back to top