Veterans Educational Benefits
Admission and Enrollment
Follow all steps listed to complete the admission and enrollment process.
Application for VA Educational Benefits
NOTE: You can complete the application process to the Dept. of Veterans Affairs (VA) while you are completing the admission and enrollment process at the College.
First Time Applying for VA Educational Benefits
If applying for the first time:
- Complete application for VA educational benefits.
- Chapter 30, 33, 1606 or 1607 (for veterans or active service members): complete application Form 22-1990.
- Chapter 35 (Dependent’s Educational Assistance Program – for dependents or spouse): complete application Form 22-5490.
- Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation): you must apply for benefits through Detroit VA office and submit Authorization for benefits.
Previously Certified at Another Institution
If previously used benefits at another institution:
- Chapter 30, 33, 1606 or 1607: complete and submit Form 22-1995 (Change of Program or Place of Training).
- Chapter 35 (Dependents Educational Assistance Program): complete and submit Form 22-5495 (Change of Program or Place of Training).
- Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation: updated authorization required, must be signed by VA counselor approving attendance at HFC.
Tuition Assistance Sponsorship
For students using Military Tuition Assistance (GoArmyEd, Navy College Program Tuition Assistance, MyCAA, etc.). Students using Military Tuition Assistance (MTA) will be processed as a "sponsored" student and invoicing for your Tuition Assistance payments is handled by the Office of Student Accounts. For detailed information view Military Tuition Assistance Requirements and Policies at HFC or contact Kimyette Black at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Submit your Tuition Assistance authorization voucher to the Office of Student Accounts.
All of the following documents can be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 313-845-6464, mail to Welcome Center, 5101 Evergreen Rd., Dearborn, MI 48128 or in-person at the Welcome Center drop box.
- Submit copy of DD214 (Member 4) or NOBE (Notice of Eligibility).
- Submit official Joint Services military transcript (JST).
- Submit official transcripts from all previously attended colleges/universities where you used VA benefits.
- Submit copy of Certificate OF Eligibility when received from VA or Authorization for Ch. 31 Vocational Rehabilitation benefits.
- Every semester, submit VA Certification Request Form to request certification for VA benefits.
Please remember, only courses required for your academic program (or required pre-requisites) are eligible for certification See an Academic Adviser or Counselor to review required courses if necessary. The School Certifying Official will review your class schedule, educational plan, and transcripts from previous institutions in order to comply with VA regulations. Timely submission and accuracy of information provided by you will impact timeframe for processing of your VA Certification and determination by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for funding coursework.
All correspondence regarding your VA Certification will be sent through HFC HawkMail.
- If using Chapter 30, 35, 1606 or 1607, you are responsible for paying tuition and fees by HFC payment due date.
- If using Chapter 33 or 31, your tuition/fees will be paid by VA based on your benefit eligibility, you are responsible for any portion of tuition/fees not covered by VA benefits.
HFC is dedicated to supporting your academic success! HFC offers many student services, and our Counseling office offers services specifically for veterans in addition to personal counseling, and student outreach and support.