Steps to Enrollment / VA Benefit Certification Checklist
1. Admission and Enrollment
Follow all steps listed to complete the admission and enrollment process.
Application for VA Educational Benefits
NOTE: You can complete the application process to the Dept. of Veterans Affairs (VA) while you are completing the admission and enrollment process at the College.
2. Applying For or Transferring Benefits
Montgomery GI Bill: Chapters 33, 30, 1606, 35, or Ch. 31 (VR&E)
First Time Applying for VA Educational Benefits
If applying for the first time:
- Complete application for VA educational benefits.
- Chapter 30, 33, 1606 (for veterans or active service members): complete application Form 22-1990.
- Chapter 35 (Dependent’s Educational Assistance Program – for dependents or spouse): complete application Form 22-5490.
- Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation): you must apply for benefits through Detroit VA office and submit Authorization for benefits.
Previously Certified at Another Institution
If previously used benefits at another institution:
- Chapter 30, 33, 1606 or 1607: complete and submit Form 22-1995 (Change of Program or Place of Training).
- Chapter 35 (Dependents Educational Assistance Program): complete and submit Form 22-5495 (Change of Program or Place of Training).
- Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation: updated authorization required, must be signed by VA counselor approving attendance at HFC.
Federal Tuition Assistance
FTA recipients should first contact their respective Education Service Officer (ESO) to seek approval prior to registering for classes.
Students using Federal Military Tuition Assistance will be processed as a "sponsored" student and invoicing for your Tuition Assistance payments is handled by the Office of Student Accounts. For detailed information view Military Tuition Assistance Requirements and Policies at HFC or contact Kimyette Black at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Submit your Tuition Assistance authorization voucher to the Office of Student Accounts prior to the HFC payment due date to to ensure that your courses will not be dropped for non-payment.
State Tuition Assistance (MINGSTAP)
Students using MINGSTAP will be processed as a "sponsored" student and invoicing is handled by the Office of Student Accounts. For detailed information view Military Tuition Assistance Requirements and Policies at HFC or contact Kimyette Black at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- We recommend that you confirm your authorization voucher from the state of Michigan has been received by the Office of Student Accounts prior to the HFC payment due date to to ensure that your courses will not be dropped for non-payment.
3. Certification Process
All of the following documents can be submitted as follows:
Mail: Welcome Center, 5101 Evergreen Rd., Dearborn, MI 48128
In Person: At the Welcome Center drop box.
- Submit copy of DD214 (Member 4) or NOBE (Notice of Eligibility).
- Submit official Joint Services military transcript (JST).
- Submit official transcripts from all previously attended colleges/universities where you used VA benefits.
- Submit copy of Certificate OF Eligibility when received from VA or Authorization for Ch. 31 Vocational Rehabilitation benefits.
- Every semester: Submit VA Certification Request Form to request certification for VA benefits (except for FTA or MINGSTAP).
Please remember, only courses required for your academic program (or required pre-requisites) are eligible for certification See an Academic Advisor or Counselor to review required courses if necessary. The School Certifying Official will review your class schedule, educational plan, and transcripts from previous institutions in order to comply with VA regulations. Timely submission and accuracy of information provided by you will impact timeframe for processing of your VA Certification and determination by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for funding coursework.
All correspondence regarding your VA Certification will be sent through HFC HawkMail.
- If using Chapter 30, 35, 1606 or 1607, you are responsible for paying tuition and fees by HFC payment due date.
- If using Chapter 33 or 31, your tuition/fees will be paid by VA based on your benefit eligibility, you are responsible for any portion of tuition/fees not covered by VA benefits.
- Tuition Assistance (FTA or MINGSTAP): Eligible charges only will be invoiced to your respective branch of service or the State of Michigan by Office of Student Accounts
HFC is dedicated to supporting your academic success! HFC offers many student services, and our Counseling office offers services specifically for veterans in addition to personal counseling, and student outreach and support.