Military Tuition Assistance

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)

Notice: Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) is distinct from all other veteran affairs education benefits and financial aid. Federal Tuition Assistance recipients should first contact their respective Education Service Officer (ESO) to seek approval prior to registering for classes.

Members of the Selective Reserves and National Guard may be eligible for federal tuition assistance. Each of the Armed Forces has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process and restrictions.

Application Process: Learn more specific information on FTA Guidelines and Application Process by military service branch.

FTA Student Responsibilities

Applications: Must be approved BEFORE the first day of classes. Applications may be submitted up to 60 days prior to the class start date and no later than 5 business days before the class start date.

Students should contact the HFC Office of Veterans Services at and submit the Veterans Certification Request Form each semester, once enrolled in eligible courses.

Fees, books and supplies are NOT covered. This is a tuition-only program.

Unearned Military Tuition Assistance (TA) Funds Policy

In accordance with Department of Defense (DOD) policy, Henry Ford College is required to return unearned TA funds on a proportional basis through the 60 percent completion point of the course for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during a course, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending the course. Instances of active duty service members withdrawing due to military service obligations will be accommodated to mitigate student loss.

  • Courses dropped during the 100% refund period: 0% tuition billed to TA
  • Courses graded as NS (No Show): 0% tuition billed to TA;100% tuition billed to student
  • Course completion 1-29%: 40% tuition billed to TA; 60% tuition billed to student
  • Course completion 30-59%: 70% tuition billed to TA; 30% tuition billed to student
  • Course completion 60-100%: 100% tuition billed to TA

Need Help? If so, please contact your unit’s Education Service Officer (ESO) for assistance or the HFC Office of Veterans Services.

Michigan National Guard State Tuition Assistance Program (MINGSTAP)

MINGSTAP is available to members of the Michigan National Guard who (1) are active in the National Guard (including the traditional service of one weekend/month and two weeks/year; (2) are not absent without leave or under UCMJ charges; and (3) meet the additional criteria established by the TAG consistent with the guard's recruiting and retention requirements.

Student Responsibilities

Applications: Applications for MINGSTAP may be submitted up to 60 days prior to the class start date and must be submitted no more than 14 days after the class start date.

Payment: Payment to HFC is due by the designated HFC payment due date since MINGSTAP is a reimbursement program. Eligibility for FTA or Financial Aid may protect student courses and should be verified. Upon submission of final grades, MINGSTAP reimbursement will be sent directly to the soldier.

MINGSTAP may be used in conjunction with other federal tuition assistance (such as Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) and/or Post 9-11 GI Bill CH 33) as long as FTA does not cover 100% of tuition & fees. STAP can be used to cover remaining tuition and/or eligible fees. The combination of Federal Tuition Assistance, State Tuition Assistance and any other tuition specific aid cannot exceed 100% of the cost of tuition.

Books and supplies are NOT covered. This is a tuition-only program.

Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MyCAA)

The Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides tuition assistance to eligible military spouses. The scholarship helps military spouses pursue licenses, certificates, certifications or associate degrees necessary to gain employment in high demand, high growth portable career fields and occupations.

Payment: Students using MyCAA are processed as a "sponsored" student. Students must verify that their authorization from the state has been sent to the HFC Office of Student Accounts prior to the HFC payment due date or they risk being dropped for non-payment. For detailed information, view Military Tuition Assistance Requirements and Policies at HFC.