Careers to Consider: Pre-Education
This article is part of a series spotlighting HFC academic and workforce programs leading to great careers. To view all HFC programs, visit this link.
HFC’s pre-education program will prepare you to transfer and achieve teacher certification in elementary education or secondary education. If you want to become a paraprofessional, we will prepare you for immediate employment with elementary and secondary schools.
Your two years of coursework can be applied toward a bachelor's degree at a 4-year university. You will also gain practical experience in the classroom.
We offer associate degree and certificate programs in these areas:
- Pre-Elementary Education
- Pre-Secondary Education
- Education Paraprofessional (NOTE: This 31-credit certification is earned while you are enrolled in the pre-elementary education program)
The Education Paraprofessional prepares you to begin your career immediately. The other paths help you gain your bachelor’s degree at a 4-year educational institution in a high-quality, low-cost environment.
What classes will you take?
Check out the recommended course sequence for your preferred pathway:
We always recommend you talk to one of our friendly, expert advisors to make sure you are on the right track.
The Pre-Education program has two academic advisors:
Call one of these friendly, knowledgeable advisors today.
What will you learn?
You will learn and grow in the following areas:
- Written and verbal communication
- Lesson planning
- Learning styles
- Interpersonal skills
- Patience and organization
Other features and benefits include:
- Classroom observation: Through HFC’s partnerships with nearby school districts and universities, you will participate in a collaborative practicum experience with an experienced educator in an elementary, middle, or high school classroom setting.
- Becoming a teaching assistant: Work immediately after you graduate from HFC with elementary and secondary schools.
Great transfer options for continued education
After you complete the Pre-Education program, you can transfer to a university to complete your final two years of your bachelor's degree. HFC has many agreements with other schools for easy transfer options. Some of these include:
- Wayne State University
- Eastern Michigan University
- Oakland University
- The University of Michigan-Dearborn
- Baker College
- Davenport University
“We offer seamless transfer to many schools of education,” said HFC Pre-Education Director Dr. Carolyn Casale. “If you are planning to transfer, our Pre-Education faculty members are here to help you with this process.”
Casale is working on many more agreements with universities.
For questions or more information, contact Casale at firstname.lastname@example.org. To make an appointment with a pre-education academic advisor, contact either Clippert-DeVogel at email@example.com or Milai at firstname.lastname@example.org.