F-1 Students Transferring from another U.S. Institution
HFC welcomes international students to its campus community. Admission of international students on a F-1 Visa is governed by all applicable federal regulations.
As an F-1 student, you may only apply for admission into associate degree programs (a link to HFC’s Associate Degree Programs or Non-Degree ELI program are provided below). Please submit all documents required for admission to HFC before the admission deadline dates.
International (F-1) Student Admission Deadline Dates:
All documents required for admission as an F-1 student at HFC must be submitted by the dates listed below:
New F-1 Student:
- Fall: June 15
- Winter: November 1
- Summer: Only students currently with an F-1 visa transferring from another US institution are eligible for Summer admission.
F-1 Student transferring to HFC from another U.S. Institution:
- Fall: July 15
- Winter: December 1
- Summer: March 1
Application Steps for International (F-1) Transfer Students
Apply to HFC
Complete the HFC online application:
- Under “Citizenship” of the application, please click “No” to: “Are you a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident…”
- Please click “Yes” to the question: “Do you plan to attend HFC on an F-1 student visa?”
- The name on your application (and all documents) must match the name on your passport exactly
- Transcripts from Colleges and Universities in the US: Request that your official transcripts are sent directly from prior colleges/universities to HFC.
- International transcripts: Unless you have completed a degree from an accredited institution in the US, you must use have your international education evaluated by an approved NACES evaluation service such as Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE), World Education Services (WES), and SpanTran (using this HFC customized Application). For a list of other evaluation services, go to the NACES website and click on “Membership” to view member companies. The document must be sent directly from the evaluation service to HFC, see instructions on requesting transcripts.
Provide Proof of Financial Responsibility
You must provide all of the following:
- Signed Affidavit of Financial Support Form; and
- Checking or savings account in English showing the most current month’s bank statement, no older than three months.
Full-time students will need to show $24,500 U.S. funds annually. Additional financial requirements for an accompanying spouse is $7,750 and for a child is $4,000 U.S. dollars.
Show Proficiency in English
This step is not necessary if you are applying to study in our English Language Institute or will transfer a college-level English course from your current institution.
You must provide one of the following:
- TOEFL iBT score of 61+ (Test of English as a Foreign Language); or
- MET score of 46+ (Michigan English Test); or
- IELTS Academic score of 6+ (The International English Language Testing System); or
- Duolingo English score of 100+; or
- Pearson PTE Academic score of 46+
Proficiency test cannot be more than two (2) years old. Test scores must be officially reported (mailed or emailed directly to HFC from the testing agency). NOTE: Regardless of any proficiency test, all applicants who do not transfer college-level English classes (including those who submit English proficiency test scores for admission) must take our HFC English placement test upon arrival and abide by the results.
You must provide all of the following:
- Complete the Student Information Form. Please make sure your complete international address is on the student information form.
- Copy of passport, showing name, photo, passport number, and expiration date. Your passport must be valid at least six months from your date of entry into the U.S.
- Copy of F-1 visa page
- Copy of current I-20
- Copy of current I-94
- If you have dependents (F-2 status/visa): For a spouse, copy of spouse passport and certified English translation of marriage license. For a child, copy of child passport and certified English translation of birth certificate.
Transfer Clearance Form
Fill out the top portion of the Transfer Clearance Form. The International Student Advisor (DSO) at the student’s current institution fills out the bottom portion of the form.
The Transfer-Pending I-20 and Admission Letter will be issued after all admission documents are on file and the SEVIS record has been released from the current school to HFC.
Please send the above documents to:
International Student Services (ISS)
210 Welcome Center
Henry Ford College
5101 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128