Canadian Citizens

Canadian students who plan on living in the United States (U.S.) while attending school must fulfill all student visa requirements of an F-1 student.

Canadian citizens who reside outside the U.S. but who regularly commute across the Detroit/Windsor border or the Port Huron/Sarnia border to study at HFC may do so on a part-time basis in the F-1 category as a “border commuter student.” Canadian border commuter students are defined as:

  • A national of Canada who is admitted to the U.S. as an F-1 non-immigrant student to enroll in a full course of study, albeit on a part-time basis;
  • Attend a SEVIS approved U.S. school located within 75 miles of the Canadian border; and
  • Maintain actual residence and place of abode in Canada and commute through a land border port-of-entry to the U.S. for study.

Part-time border commuter students are not admitted for duration of status like other F-1 students, but rather for a date specific period of time. The designated school official (DSO) at HFC will specify a completion date on the Form I-20 that reflects the actual semester for the commuter student’s current term of study. The DSO at HFC will issue a new Form I-20 for each new semester the commuter student attends. Full-time border commuter students are admitted for duration of status like other F-1 students.

Application Steps for Canadian Citizens


Complete the HFC online application:

  • Under “Citizenship” of the application, please click “No” to: “Are you a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident…”
  • Please click “Yes” to the question: “Do you plan to attend HFC on an F-1 student visa?”
  • The name on your application (and all documents) must match the name on your passport exactly

Provide Transcripts

If you completed your prior education in Canada, you will need to provide one of the following:

*HFC is able to accept transcripts sent directly from St. Clair College and the University of Windsor.

Provide Proof of Financial Responsibility

You must provide all of the following:

Full-time students who wish to reside in the U.S. will need to show $24,500 U.S. funds annually. Additional financial requirements for an accompanying spouse is $7,750 and for a child is $4,000 U.S. dollars.

Commuter students will need to show $9,000 U.S. funds. Full-time commuters are admitted for duration of status. Part-time commuters are required to be issued a new I-20 and pay the SEVIS fee for each semester they wish to enroll.

Student Information

Provide both of the following:

  • Complete the Student Information Form. Please make sure your complete international address is on the student information form.
  • Copy of passport, showing name, photo, passport number, and expiration date (or proof of Canadian citizenship). Your passport must be valid at least six months from your date of entry into the U.S.
  • If you are bringing a dependent with you (F-2 status/visa): For a spouse, copy of spouse passport and certified English translation of marriage license. For a child, copy of child passport and certified English translation of birth certificate.

The Form I-20, which is the Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, and Admission Letter will be issued after all admission documents are on file. Students will be notified by an International Student Advisor when they are admitted and of the available document shipping options. The Form I-20 and Admission Letter are used to enter the U.S. and receive F-1 status. Please visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Website for more information.

Please send all of the requested documents to:

International Student Services (ISS)
210 Welcome Center
Henry Ford College
5101 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128

phone: 313-317-6842
fax: 313-845-9891