International Students Without F-1 Visa

Determine Eligibility

Are you eligible to study on your current visa? A list of visa types and eligibility to study can be found on the website.

Do you need to change your status before being eligible to study? Some visa holders (such as visitors on a B visa) must change their status to F before eligible to study.

After you meet all of HFC’s admission criteria for those seeking an F-1 visa, a DSO will issue you a “change of status” I-20 if you are remaining in the U.S. while changing your status. Your current visa status (such as B) must be maintained while your change of status request is pending. We recommend consulting with an immigration attorney to assist you with the change while remaining in the U.S. Students are not eligible to study until the change has been approved.

An “initial” I-20 will be issued to those who will obtain the F-1 visa from the U.S. Embassy in his/her home country.

Admission Requirements

Apply to HFC

Complete the HFC online application:

  • Under “Citizenship” of the application, please click “No” to: “Are you a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident…”
  • Please click “Yes” to the question: “Do you plan to attend HFC on an F-1 student visa?”
  • The name on your application (and all documents) must match the name on your passport exactly

Provide Evaluated Transcripts

Evaluate your high school or college transcript. You must use an approved NACES evaluation service such as Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE). For a list of other evaluation services, go to the NACES website and click on “current members”. The document must be sent directly from the evaluation service to HFC. See instructions on requesting transcripts

Show Proficiency in English

This step is not necessary if you are applying to study in our English Language Institute. Applicants from countries where English is the official language may not need to prove English proficiency.

You must provide one of the following:

  • paper TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 500; or
  • computer-based TOEFL score of 173; or
  • Internet-based TOEFL score of 61; or
  • MELAB score of 69 (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery); or
  • IELTS exam score of 6.

Proficiency test cannot be more than two (2) years old. Test scores must be officially reported (mailed directly to HFC from the testing agency). NOTE: Students who submit test results for the TOEFL, MELAB or IELTS must also take an English placement test to determine proper course placement. Regardless of any proficiency test, all applicants must take our placement test upon arrival and abide by the results.