International Students with or seeking an F-1 Visa
Henry Ford College (HFC) is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students. The College’s admission of international applicants will be governed by all applicable state and federal regulations.
As an F-1 student you are only allowed to apply for admission into associate degree programs. (A link to HFC’s Associate Degree Programs or Non-Degree ELI program are provided below in the green box.)
All documents required for admission to HFC should be received on or before the admission deadline dates.
Fall Admission - June 1
Students who are already in the United States (U.S.) transferring from another U.S. college have up until two weeks prior to start date of the semester to enroll. Fall classes start in late August. Check calendar for exact dates.
Winter Admission – Nov. 1
Students who are already in the United States (U.S.) transferring from another U.S. college have until Dec. 1 to enroll. Winter classes start in early January. Check calendar for exact dates.
Spring Admission – March 1
Only transfer students are admitted for the spring semester. Classes start early in May. Check calendar for exact dates.
Summer Admission – The College does not admit F-1 students for the summer semester.
Steps to Admission
- Complete the HFC online application, International Application. If you do not meet English proficiency scores (see #4) or do not wish to take a TOEFL/IELTS or MELAB, please choose the Non-Degree ELI program option.
- Complete the Student Information Form, Student Information Form
- Proof of meeting the admission requirements. For details on documents required, go to the Transcript Request page.
- Proof of English proficiency. Proof can be met by providing one of the following:
Applicants who score below these benchmark scores will be reviewed for consideration for attendance in HFC’s English Language Institute (ELI). ELI courses are non-transferable and do not count toward graduation.
Proficiency test cannot be more than 2 years old and must be officially reported (mailed directly to HFC from the testing agency). Applicants educated in certain countries do not need to prove English proficiency. See a list of countries where English proficiency is not required.
* A score of 500 on the paper [TOEFL](http://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/about?WT.ac=toeflhome_ibtabout2_121127) (Test of English as a Foreign Language), **OR** * A score of 173 on the computer-based [TOEFL](http://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/about?WT.ac=toeflhome_ibtabout2_121127), **OR** * A score of 61 on the Internet-based [TOEFL](http://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/about?WT.ac=toeflhome_ibtabout2_121127), **OR** * A score of 69 on the [MELAB](http://www.cambridgemichigan.org/resources/melab) (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery), **OR** * A score of 6 on the [IELTS](http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_information.aspx) exam.
Proof of financial responsibility. Proof can be demonstrated by:
A. Signed Affidavit of Support Form and Official Bank documentation sent to HFC directly from the bank showing the most current month’s bank statement, which cannot be older than 3 months from the time the I-20 is issued. The statement should include an e-mail contact at the bank so the account information can be verified if need be.
For 2014-15: * Full time students will need to show $19,000 U.S. funds annually. * Additional financial requirements for an accompanying spouse is $6,500 and for an accompanying child is $3,500 U.S. funds annually.
B. Notarized Affidavit of an official government sponsor
(NOTE: While there may be some scholarship opportunities for F-1 students, federal and state financial aid is not available to F-1 students and on campus work opportunities are very limited).
Copy of passport pages showing name, photo, passport number, and expiration date (or proof of Canadian citizenship)
The Form I-20 will be issued after all admission documents are on file in the Admissions, Recruitment and Enrollment Development office.
Please send the above documents to:
International Student Services Office
Henry Ford College
5101 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128