International Students with or seeking an F-1 Visa

HFC is allowed under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students. Admission of international applicants is governed by all applicable state and federal regulations.

As an F-1 student, you may only apply for admission into associate degree programs (a link to HFC’s Associate Degree Programs or Non-Degree ELI program are provided below). Please submit all documents required for admission to HFC before the admission deadline dates.

Deadline Dates

Fall Admission - June 1

Students who are already in the United States (U.S.) and transferring from another U.S. college/university have two weeks before the start of the semester to enroll. Fall classes begin in late August. Check calendar for exact dates.

Winter Admission – Nov. 1

Students who are already in the United States (U.S.) transferring from another U.S. college/university have until Dec. 1 to enroll. Students who are outside the U.S. at the time of application have until Nov. 1 to enroll. Winter classes start in early January. Check calendar for exact dates.

Spring Admission – March 1

Only transfer students are admitted for the spring semester. Classes start early in May. Check calendar for exact dates.

Summer Admission – HFC does NOT admit F-1 students for the summer semester.

Steps to Admission

  1. Complete the HFC online application, International Application. If you do not meet English proficiency scores (see No. 4 below) or do not wish to take a TOEFL/IELTS or MELAB, please choose the Non-Degree ELI program option.
  2. Complete the Student Information Form.
  3. Proof of meeting the admission requirements. For details on documents required, visit Transcript Request page.
  4. Proof of English proficiency:
    • Applicants who score below these benchmark scores will undergo review to attend HFC’s English Language Institute (ELI). ELI courses are non-transferable and do not count toward graduation.
    • Proficiency test cannot be more than two (2) years old. Test scores must be officially reported (mailed directly to HFC from the testing agency). Applicants educated in certain countries do not need to prove English proficiency
    • Proof can be met by providing one of the following:
      • A score of 500 on the paper TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language); or
      • A score of 173 on the computer-based TOEFL; or
      • A score of 61 on the Internet-based TOEFL; or
      • A score of 69 on the MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery); or
      • A score of 6 on the IELTS exam (NOTE: Students who submit test results for the TOEFL, MELAB or IELTS must also take an English placement test to determine proper course placement).
  5. Proof of financial responsibility. Proof can be demonstrated by:
    1. Signed Affidavit of Support Form and Official Bank documentation sent to HFC directly from the bank. This bank statement cannot be older than three (3) months from the time the I-20 is issued. The statement should include an email contact at the bank to allow HFC to verify information. For 2015-16:
      • Full-time students must show $21,000 U.S. funds annually.
      • Additional financial requirements for an accompanying spouse are $6,500. Additional financial requirements for an accompanying child are $3,500 U.S. funds annually.
    2. Notarized Affidavit of an official government sponsor (NOTE: While there may be some scholarship opportunities for F-1 students, federal and state financial aid is not available to F-1 students. On-campus work opportunities are also limited).
  6. Copy of passport pages showing name, photo, passport number and expiration date (or proof of Canadian citizenship).

The I-20 will be issued after all admission documents are on file in the Admissions, Recruitment and Enrollment Development Office.

Please send the above documents to:

International Student Services Office
Welcome Center
Henry Ford College
5101 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128

Phone: 313-317-6842
FAX: 313-845-9891