Fifty-One O One Restaurant is open for the Fall semester
On Wednesday, Sept. 21, Fifty-One O One, HFC’s student-run on-campus restaurant, will open for the Fall 2022 semester.
“We’re looking forward to serving our guests this semester. We have a diverse variety of entrees planned and several special events that will be great learning opportunities for our students in the culinary arts program,” said Lauren Wallace, maître d'hôtel for the restaurant and culinary arts instructor.
The restaurant’s hours for Fall 2022:
- Tuesdays: 11:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. (lunch)
- Wednesdays: 11:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. (lunch) and 5:30 to 7:45 p.m. (dinner)
- Thursdays: 11:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. (lunch)
World-class dishes prepared with local ingredients
Restaurant guests will have the opportunity to try delightful seasonal dishes created by HFC’s chef de cuisine Joseph E. Cosenza. The menu changes frequently because the produce is used at the peak of its freshness and is sourced locally wherever possible.
“Nothing brings me more joy than developing the next generation of great chefs,” said Cosenza.
The opening menu features fresh seasonal vegetables in dishes such as:
- Michigan Heirloom Tomato Salad
- Michigan Baby Green Salad
- Grain Salad
- Beet and Apple Salad
- House-made Neapolitan style pizzas
The Neapolitan style pizzas include:
- The Emilia Classic: Mozzarella and classic tomato sauce
- The Peppy: Mozzarella, pepperoni, and classic tomato sauce
- 5101 Sausage: Homemade Italian sausage, roasted peppers, roasted onions, classic tomato sauce
- Mushroom Ragu: Roasted mushrooms, arugula, truffle
- Roasted Vegetable: Mozzarella, zucchini, tomatoes, onions
Entrees for the Sept. 21 opening week include:
- Angel Hair Pasta with Shrimp and Chiles: Chitarra pasta, heirloom tomatoes, and preserved lemon
- Wood-Grilled Ribeye Steak: Bing cherry-oxtail Bordelaise, Ratatouille, sauce de Paris
- Skull Island Prawns: Fennel, buttermilk panna cotta, bisque emulsion
- Zucchini-Wrapped Halibut: Butter-poached, variations of squash and zucchini, smoked roe
- Duck Confit: White port-poached plums, Castelvetrano olive, parsnip, sherry lacquer
- Corn and Truffle Ravioli: Michigan chanterelle and sweet corn ragout, black garlic-truffle butter
- Pork Belly: Apricots, roasted onions, bacon marmalade, apricot-maple jus
Entrees include either a vegetable, salad, or soup before or with the meal.
The menu also includes appetizers, specialty salads and sandwiches, soups, and desserts. As the weeks progress, updated menu information will be found on the restaurant’s website.
Prices are reasonable. Beer and wine are available to patrons 21 and older.
Upcoming special events
Along with its 3-day-per-week services, Fifty-One O One will host special events and buffets throughout the fall semester, including:
- Wednesday, Oct 19: Oktoberfest Buffet
- Saturday, Nov. 5: Scholarship Dinner
- Wednesday, Nov. 16: Holiday Buffet
- Tuesday, Nov. 22, and Wednesday, Nov. 23: Bake Sale
Parking is free. Reservations are recommended. To make reservations, to place a carryout order, or for questions and more information, call 313-206-5101.