Frequently Asked Questions

Future HFC Students

Do you have a library?

Yes. Visit their website at

How do I sign up for a tour of campus?

Visit The available tour dates will show up on the web page.

Do you have student clubs at HFC?

Yes. To learn more, visit the Student Activities page.

I am a veteran. How do I receive help in order to use my veteran benefits?

Visit the Veterans home page or contact:

Certifying Officials:
Gail Bock

HFC Welcome Center
5101 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128-1495
8:00 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Monday - Thursday
8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Friday

I’m interested in learning more about HFC. How do I request information to be sent to me?

You can request materials online.

What events are happening on campus?

A list of news and events is available online at the HFC News page.

How do I know if I am eligible to earn college credit for classes I took in high school?

Check with the Office of Secondary Partnerships.

Who do I talk to for HFC literature to be sent to my organization/group, etc.?


How do I find information on other support services and resources available at the College?

You can view a list of selected support services on our Support Services and Resources Handout.

When does the next semester begin?

View the Academic Calendar

How do I apply for admission?

You can apply online.

How do I earn credit by CLEP (College Level Examination Program)?

HFC's MTEC center offers CLEP testing. You can view a list of HFC equivalent courses.

How do I know what programs HFC offers?

For a list of programs, visit the Programs page.

Do you offer Counseling Services?

HFC is dedicated to providing students with a comprehensive program of counseling services.

Does HFC offer a GED program?

HFC accepts students who have earned a GED certificate for admission to the College to take college classes. The M-TEC at HFC offers GED testing.

I’m not sure what career is right for me. Do you have Career Planning Services?

Yes, our counselors assist students in the lifelong process of choosing, planning, and preparing for appropriate careers. For more details visit the Counseling page.

Does HFC provide childcare?

HFC does not provide childcare and is not affiliated with any childcare providers.

How do I know if there will be jobs available in my field?

The Career Services Office partners with prospective employers to provide job search assistance to current HFC students and graduates. Find more information online at the Careers page.

Does HFC have wireless access on campus?

HFC students can get connected through free wireless Internet service on HFC's main campus in Dearborn. For information on how to connect, visit the Wireless Campus page.

I have an IEP. Can I use that at HFC?

Assisted Learning Services provides accommodations to students with disabilities to overcome barriers to education through supportive services. In addition, Assisted Learning Services provides tutoring services to students in career and technical education programs. For more information, visit the Assisted Learning Services page.

Can I eat lunch while I am on campus?

There are many dining options right here on campus. You'll find everything from a quick snack between classes to a gourmet meal complete with dessert! For information visit the campus dining webpage.

I am a student in a non-traditional career. Is there any support available to help me?

The Student Outreach and Support Office (SOS) offers counseling and support groups. We'll help career education students determine eligibility for Perkins Grants. For more information, visit the Student Outreach and Support page.

Does HFC offer tutoring?

The Learning Lab at HFC offers tutoring and study aids. Visit the Tutoring page on the Learning Lab website for more information.

Can I apply for scholarships at HFC?

Yes, you can search for scholarships and apply online at the Scholarships page.

Do you have athletics at HFC?

Yes. For more information, visit Athletics.

Applying to HFC

How do I apply for admission?

Apply for admission online.

I am an international student. How do I apply?

You can apply online. More information is available on the International Admissions webpage.

I was a student at HFC before. Do I need to re-apply?

No, you do NOT need to complete another application. Visit to complete the other steps to enroll.

I am a high school student and would like to take college classes. What options does HFC offer?

We offer Dual Enrollment and Advancement Plus options. Visit the College for High School Students webpage for more information.

I am attending another college and would like to take a class at HFC. How do I apply to be a guest student?

Complete the Michigan Uniform Guest Application. Once we receive and process your application, you will be notified of the approval and how to register.

Is there any application fee?

No! There is no fee to apply for admission at Henry Ford College.

Transfer in to HFC

How do I transfer credits?

We need an official transcript to grant you equivalent HFC credit. Official transcripts are sent directly from your previous college to HFC. Please request your previous college to send an official copy of your transcript to:

Henry Ford College
Transcript Evaluation
5101 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128

For more information please visit the Transfer in Agreements webpage.

How do I know if my classes from another college will transfer to HFC?

Visit the Transfer in Agreements page and select the college you attended.

I am transferring credits to HFC. How long does it take for a transfer credit evaluation to be completed?

Based upon our high volume, the processing time for transfer credit evaluation and input is typically 2-4 weeks; however, we work as quickly as possible to have them completed earlier.

Submitting Proof of Meeting Admissions Requirements – Transcripts

I attended high school or college overseas. How do I send an official transcript?

For details on what type of evaluation you will need, visit the transcript request page.

My high school states they can only give me a copy of a transcript. They can’t mail it to you. What do I do?

HFC only accepts official transcripts, which are those academic records mailed from institution to institution and are not handled by the student. We use the Official Transcript Definition provided by the Michigan Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers.

You can download a request form to take to your high school, which will help describe exactly what you need.

How do I send you an official transcript?

View our tips on obtaining official, final copies of transcripts.

Next Steps After Admission

What do I do after I am admitted?

Follow the steps to enroll.


How do I register for NSO-SOAR?

Registering for NSO-SOAR is quick and simple.

  1. Go to ;
  2. Click one of the “Register for a New Student Orientation-SOAR Session” links;
  3. Click on the available session you would like to attend;
  4. Click the “Register” button;
  5. Login with the information you used when applying to HFC;
  6. Complete the registration form and click the “Register” button.

You’re now registered for a session!

What do I need to do before I come to NSO-SOAR?

Students must be officially accepted to HFC and have completed their course placement exams.

What should I bring to NSO-SOAR?

Bring valid photo identification, a pen, and a notepad.

Can my parent(s) or a guest come to NSO with me?

No. Sessions are designed for students only. Parents or guardians who wish to learn about HFC and what to expect can attend the Parent Orientation session.

When is NSO?

The Office of New Student Orientation offers NSO sessions prior to the start of each semester.

How do I sign up for Orientation?

Sign up online at

What if I attended a Dual Enrollment Orientation (DEO) session while in high school?

Dual enrollment students who have since graduated from high school and are now attending HFC as a traditional student ARE STILL required to complete NSO in order to be able to register for classes.

I have registered for an NSO session and need to reschedule. What do I do?

To cancel an existing session:
1. Log back into our session registration system.
2. Click on 'My HFC Application Account' at the top of the screen.
3. Scroll down to 'Events'.
4. Click the 'X' next to the session for which you're registered.

To register for a new session click here.

What if I am unable to attend the in-person NSO?

If students are unable to attend any of the in-person NSO sessions, they may complete the HFC Online Orientation. Students can access the online module through their WebAdvisor account by clicking the HFC Online Orientation for New Students link within their Student Menu.

Am I required to complete New Student Orientation (NSO)?

Yes. Students must complete NSO in order to be able to register for classes. However, some students may qualify to be exempt. To find out if you qualify, visit our NSO Exemption page.

How long does NSO-SOAR last?

NSO-SOAR lasts approximately three (3) hours.

Course Placement

What is the Course Placement?

The course placement is an assessment test designed to identify your skills in math, reading, and writing. For additional information visit the Course Placement webpage.

Can I practice for the Course Placement?

HFC offers Course Placement Prep Workshops and other helpful links to prepare you for your course placement. Please visit the Learning Lab for more information.

Academic Advising

How do I graduate?

To be eligible for graduation, a student must first complete a Graduation Application. This should be submitted at the beginning of the semester in which the student believes they will be completing studies. After the application has been submitted, an official degree audit will be conducted. Your degree audit will confirm degree completion progress or inform you of any classes you have left to take to complete your degree. Students should complete a separate Graduation Application for each degree, certificate, concentration, or skill set desired.

Who is my academic advisor?

Advisors are available in The Welcome Center. Please refer to the Academic Advising for information on how, when, and where to meet with an advisor.

How do I decide which classes to take?

You can decide which classes to take by reviewing the class catalog and student planning.

How do I transfer to Henry Ford College from another college or university?

Students should contact all previously attended schools and request that an official transcript be sent to Henry Ford College for evaluation. Transcripts can be sent to: Henry Ford College
Attn: Registrar
5101 Evergreen Rd.
Dearborn, MI 48128

After the transcript is received and evaluated, students will receive a report in the mail, indicating what transfer credits were granted. Students should contact Academic Advising after their transcript is evaluated to learn their next steps.

What is a General Education Outcome

A General Education outcome (recently renamed an Institutional Learning Outcome) describes the desired knowledge, skills, and behaviors of a graduating student. These outcomes are the learning products that all HFC students acquire and demonstrate during their program of study.

Why do I have to take General Education Outcome?

The outcomes apply not only to the degree but also to student development as citizens in a democratic society, as potential baccalaureate degree seeking students, or as professionals in their chosen careers.
The outcomes are our educational promise to students. All institutions of higher education have these types of outcomes.

What classes do I need to take to complete my degree? What classes would I need to take if I changed my program of study?

You can access your My Progress through Student Planning. Your My Progress will tell you what is needed to complete your program, and you can run a What If scenario to look at different programs of study. Log-in to WebAdvisor and click on the blue Students menu. Under the Student Planning link, select My Progress. Your Degree Audit will also show you your progress toward graduation.

How do I know if my classes will transfer to another institution?

The Michigan Transfer Network allows you to view transfer course equivalencies between most Michigan colleges and universities.
Students should contact an academic advisor at the prospective transfer school early on to determine which HFC courses are equivalent to courses at that school and which HFC credits are related to the student’s major. This is especially important if the school you are transferring to is out of state.

Choosing Classes

How do I meet with an advisor?

It’s often helpful to meet with an academic advisor, especially if you’re a new student. Advisors see students on a walk-in basis at the Welcome Center Building.

Advising hours:
Monday through Thursday - 8 am to 6:30 pm
Friday - 8 am to 4:30 pm

How do I know what classes to take?

You need to run a program evaluation using (WebAdvisor). The Program Evaluation will take the courses you have completed (if you haven't completed any, that's okay) and place them into the degree requirements. You need to complete the course work listed as “course needed.” You can also use this tool before you submit an application for graduation!

  1. Log into WebAdvisor under “students.”
  2. Click “Program Evaluation”. (Right hand side of the screen under “Academic Profile”).
  3. Choose one of the “Active Programs” or use the “What if I changed my program of study?" button and click submit.
  4. Complete courses where “1 course needed” is indicated.

How do students know what classes are offered?

You need to look at course options using WebAdvisor. Unlike using paper and waiting in line to be served, WebAdvisor lets you take the wheel, search for classes, and register for open sections real time! Here's how:

  1. Click on WebAdvisor on the main HFC webpage, it is located on the bottom right hand corner under "Quick Links" – Or directly access it by going to
  2. At the bottom right hand side of the screen, click on “Search for Sections.”
  3. Enter the semester in which you are interested in viewing.
  4. Under “Subjects,” enter the course subject from the drop-down box.
  5. Under the “Course Number," enter the course number in which you are interested in viewing.
  6. You may enter additional search criteria if you desire. Only two complete fields are required to search for sections, one of which must be the semester field or the start/end date fields.
  7. Click submit and all courses (open and closed) are displayed.

Course Waitlist

Can I take myself off of a waitlist?

Yes, you can remove yourself from a waitlist at anytime. To do so, log-in to WebAdvisor, click on Students, click on Manage My Waitlist, then select Remove from the drop down menu, and then click submit.

If I get an instructors signature on a registration form to be added to a closed class before the semester starts and during the last week to add, can I be added to the class in the Registration and Records Office?

NO! The Registration and Records Office will no longer process closed class overrides using a Registration Form signed by the instructor. You must be on a waitlist to be considered for an open seat or closed class override. Prior to the start of the semester, if a seat becomes available and you are on the class waitlist, you will receive email notification with permission to register. As of the first day of classes, if the class you are waitlisted for is still closed, you will receive an email if you are granted permission to register for a closed class during the final week to add.


Do all class sections have a course waitlist?

No, not all classes have a course waitlist. Classes such as Nursing, Health Career, Co-op, and courses that require special permission to register do not offer course waitlists. These courses require specialized program admission and permission to enroll. When viewing WebAdvisor, if you do not see waitlist available next to the class availability or if you do not receive the message to add yourself to the waitlist for a closed class section that means that there is not a course waitlist available to add. For classes without a waitlist, you will need to check WebAdvisor for class availability.

What happens if I add a class from the waitlist after I have set-up my EZ Pay payment plan?

Your EZPay contract will automatically increase if you register for a waitlisted class. You will be notified by EZPay of your new monthly payment amount.

When is the first day I can add myself to a course waitlist?

The option to waitlist a course will become available once a class is full. For some classes, this may be as early as the first date of registration for the semester.

Will anything prevent me from adding myself to a course waitlist?

Yes, the following would prevent you from adding yourself to a course waitlist:

  • A Business Office hold
  • A Registration Office hold
  • A Library Hold
  • If you are already on a course waitlist for a different section of the same course
  • If you do not meet the pre-requisite for the class you would like to waitlist

How do I add myself to a waitlist?

Using WebAdvisor, you can add, register, or remove yourself from a waitlisted course. Here’s how:

  • Log-in to WebAdvisor using your Username and password. If you do not know your Username, click on “Students”, and then select “What’s my Username?” and enter the requested information. To change or reset your password, visit the password management website.
  • Select “Register for Sections” from the student menu.
  • Select “Search and register for sections” or “Express registration”, depending on whether or not you have the course section information needed to register or if you are searching for classes. Next, enter the class section information and click “Submit”
  • The class section status will be listed as waitlisted if the class is full and seats are open on the waitlist. Place a check mark in the box under “Select” and click “Submit”
  • From the drop down menu next to the class, select “Waitlist” and click “Submit”
  • You will then see on the final results screen that you have been waitlisted for the selected class section.

What happens if I add a class after I have submitted my financial aid award letter?

You will want to speak with a Financial Aid Representative anytime you make a change to your schedule to discuss how those changes might impact your Financial Aid Award. Please see the Class Schedule or visit for information on semester office hours.

Can I have a Registration and Records Office Representative add me to a waitlist or register me for a class that I was granted permission to register for from the waitlist?

NO! All waitlisting activity (adding yourself to a waitlist, removing yourself from a waitlist, checking your waitlist status, and registering for a class after permission has been granted from the waitlist) must be completed using WebAdvisor.

If an enrolled student drops a full class and a seat becomes available, do students who are on the waitlist get into the class first?

Yes, the class will remain closed for all other student registrations and students on the waitlist will be granted permission to register according to their rank on the waitlist and the number of open seats. When the waitlist is empty, if seats still remain, the course will be open for registration to all students who meet the course pre-requisites.

How many classes can I waitlist for?

You can add yourself to any number of course waitlist. However, you will not be permitted to enroll in more than 18 credit hours without a petition granted by the Registration and Records Office or if you have a Business Office hold or registration restriction if a seat becomes available.

When does a waitlist end?

All course waitlist will end on the last day to add classes. You can add yourself to a waitlist up to the last day to add, but once class starts permission to register can only be granted by the Academic Departments.

How do I know if I successfully registered myself for the waitlisted course once I receive permission?

You will be able to view your updated class schedule in WebAdvisor under the Class Schedule link. You will also receive an email from confirming a change that was made to your class schedule via online registration, directing you to WebAdvisor to print your new class schedule.

Can a waitlist become closed for a course?

Yes, a waitlist can become closed for a course section. Courses with a closed course waitlist will show a status of “Waitlist Full” on WebAdvisor. You will be unable to add yourself to a closed waitlist until a seat on the waitlist becomes available.

Once classes start, will I be notified via email if a seat becomes open for a waitlisted class?

Yes. The waitlist notification process will continue to run up to the last day to add classes.

Will I be automatically enrolled into the course from the waitlist?

NO! If a seat becomes available and you are granted permission to register from the waitlist, it is your responsibility to register yourself into the class using WebAdvisor.

Can I add myself to more than one waitlist for the same class?

No, you cannot add yourself to multiple waitlist for the same class. For example, if you are on the waitlist for PSY 131-66, you cannot add yourself to the waitlist for PSY 131-88.

Can I waitlist for a class that conflicts in meeting time with a class that I am already registered for?

Yes, you can waitlist for a class that conflicts in meeting day and time with a class that you have already registered. However you will not be able to add the waitlisted course if you are granted permission until you have dropped the other course that would create the day and time schedule conflict.

I’m currently registered for one class section, but I would like to add myself to the waitlist for another section of the same class. Is that possible?

Yes, you can add yourself to the waitlist for another section of the same class for which you are registered. However, you are not permitted to register for two sections of the same class. If you are granted permission to register for the waitlist course, you will not be able to add the class from the waitlist until you drop the same class that you are registered for.

Will I remain on the waitlist after I enroll in the class?

No. If you register for a class from the waitlist you will no longer stay on the waitlist. Also, if you do not register for the class if granted permission from the waitlist before the expiration date and time, you will be removed from the waitlist.

How often does the system check for open seats in waitlisted classes?

The system will run a check for open seats in waitlisted classes each evening starting on the first day of registration and ending two days prior to the start of the semester.

Where can I find my rank on the waitlist?

You can check your waitlist status using WebAdvisor. Once you log-in, click on “Students”, then select “Manage My Waitlist”. Your rank will be listed as well as the total number of students on the waitlist. This is also where you register for the course once permission is granted to register and where you can remove yourself from a waitlist.

How will I be notified if I have been granted permission to register for a course from the waitlist?

You will receive an email from the Registration and Records Office notifying you that you have been granted permission to register for the waitlisted class, and instructions on how to register for the course. Please note, you can only register for a waitlisted course using WebAdvisor once permission has been granted. All notification regarding waitlist status and permission to register will be sent via email.

Can I see who else is on the course waitlist?

No, you can only see your position on the course waitlist.

How do I add an email address to my student record or change the email address on file with the College to make sure I receive my waitlist status email?

You can add or change your email address on file with the College by logging in to WebAdvisor and submitting your email address under the Address Change link on the student menu. You can also update your email address at the Registration and Records Office with photo identification.

What if I decide I no longer want to register for the class that I have waitlisted?

Log-in to WebAdvisor, click on Students, click on Manage My waitlist, select remove from the drop down menu and click submit.

What is a course waitlist?

A course waitlist is an electronic process that allows students to add themselves to a class section waitlist to be notified and enroll if a seat becomes available in a desired class section. This allows the student to register for the class they want if a seat becomes available without having to check class availability everyday! If a seat becomes available in a class that has a waitlist, students are notified via email in the order that students signed up for the waitlist, giving students who register early a better chance of enrolling in a closed class!

How long do I have to register for the waitlisted class once I am notified that I have been granted permission to register?

You will have 24 hours to register for the waitlisted class once you are granted permission. The permission expiration date and time will be listed in the notification email. If you do not register for the course by the expiration date and time, you will lose your waitlist registration permission and will be removed from the waitlist.

What are the advantages of being added to a course waitlist?

The advantages of utilizing a course waitlist are:

  • Eliminating the need to constantly check WebAdvisor for seat availability
  • Convenient email notification sent to the student if a seat becomes available
  • Easy monitoring of your status on the waitlist using Manage My Waitlist in WebAdvisor
  • Eliminates the need to track down the course instructor for written permission to be processed in person at the Registration Office- everything will now be done online!
  • It is a fair and equitable way of determining who is permitted to register for a closed class section!

Will I be charged the registration fee and tuition charges for classes that I have waitlisted for, but not yet registered?

No, you will not be assessed registration and tuition fees until you are actually registered in the course(s).

Registering for Classes

What are the dates when registration is open?

View the Academic Calendar for important dates.

How do I register for classes?

HFC students register online, using WebAdvisor. This can be accessed from any device that has an Internet connection.

To register, please follow these steps:

  1. Determine which courses you need. This can be done by viewing your “Program Evaluation” within WebAdvisor.
  2. Click the “Login” tab at the top. If you do not remember your username or password, please follow the prompts to access this information. Once you login:
    1. Click “Students.”
    2. Click “Program Evaluation.”
    3. Once you know which courses you need to take, click on “Schedule Planner” within WebAdvisor.
    4. Click “Term” and select the semester in which you want to register.
    5. Click “Add Courses" and select the courses you want to take (for example: MATH 110).
    6. If there are days/times you can’t take classes, click “Add Break.”
    7. Click “Generate Schedules."
    8. You will be given a list of links. Each link represents a full schedule based upon the courses, dates and times you entered. Select the schedule that works for you. Then write down the section numbers of each course and then register as follows:
      1. Return to WebAdvisor. Click “Students.”
      2. Click “Register for Sections.”
      3. Click “Express Registration.”
      4. Enter the Subject (for example: MATH), Course Number (for example: 110), Section Number (for example: 01), Term (for example: 12/FA).
      5. Click Submit and follow the prompts. You are registered!

What if a class is closed? How do I add myself to the wait list?

  • From the main “Student Menu”, select “Register for Sections.”
  • Select “Express Registration” (or “Search and Register for Sections”).
  • Enter the course information and “Submit.”
  • Under the category of “Action”, select “Waitlist”and then “Submit.”

How do I see the courses where I'm on the wait list?

Within WebAdvisor, select “Manage My Waitlist" from the Student Main Menu. Any courses for which you are on the wait list will appear.

How do I audit a course?

Complete a Course Audit Application.

Using WebAdvisor

I need help with my WebAdvisor password. What do I do?

If you need help with your password, please go to the password help page.

What is my WebAdvisor username and Password?

You will receive a letter with your login information once you are admitted to HFC. You can also find additional information online with WebAdvisor. Select the blue "students" button, then on the next screen, first click on "What's My User ID" then "What’s My Password?" in the left column.

Payment and Financial Aid

How do I review and accept my financial aid awards(s)?

For information on how to view and accept your financial aid awards, visit Accepting your Awards.

Is there a deadline to apply for financial aid?

Students are strongly encouraged to submit their FAFSA and all required document by the Financial Aid Priority Date.

What is a financial aid refund and when will I receive it?

The Office of Financial Aid will post all funds for which you are eligible to your account for payment of tuition, fees, and any bookstore purchases charged to your account. In some cases, even after payment of these costs, there may be an excess amount of funds in your account. This is your “refund.” For more details visit this page.

What if I missed the Financial Aid Priority Date?

Students that miss the Financial Aid Priority Date are still eligible to apply for financial aid. However, they will be responsible for adhering to the posted payment deadlines by setting up an EZ Pay Installment Plan or paying for their classes in full -- by the payment deadline -- while they wait for their Financial Aid award(s) to be processed.

Why was I selected for verification?

Most students selected for verification are done so by the U.S. Department of Education. When HFC receives your FAFSA, if you have been selected for verification, we cannot complete your file until the verification process is complete.

What is Return to Title IV?

Students who receive federal funds, including federal loans, as part of their financial aid package and who officially or unofficially withdraw from all classes during an academic semester in which they enrolled may be required to return a portion of those funds. For more information visit the Return to Title IV webpage.

Can I use financial aid for a course I am repeating?

Financial aid may only be used once to pay for repeated courses in which a student has previously earned credit. Financial aid may be used multiple times for courses that need to be repeated due to credit having not been earned. Visit the Repeated Coursework page for more information.

How do I know when to pay for classes?

View the Enrollment Services important dates at

Can I use my Financial Aid to buy books?

Your grants, scholarships, and loans are applied to charges for tuition and fees first. If there will be a credit balance remaining after your tuition and fees have been paid, you may normally charge books and supplies related to your educational program against this potential credit balance at the HFC College Store. For more details visit this page.

What is the Financial Aid Census Date?

Financial Aid adjusts Pell Grant awards, as required, based on a student's enrollment as of the Financial Aid Census Date. Specifically, this means that Pell Grant payments will be based on the number of credit hours for which a student is enrolled as of the Census Date for that semester.

How much does it cost to attend HFC?

You can view tuition rates online Use the Tuition Comparison calculator to compare our tuition to other schools.

How does class attendance impact my Financial Aid?

Students must begin and continue attending their classes to be eligible for Financial Aid. Failure to do so may make the student ineligible for some or all of the Financial Aid awarded for the current semester. Visit the class attendance page for more information.

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress?

Federal regulations require all financial aid recipients to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress in a course of study leading toward a degree or certificate. Failure to meet one or more of the established standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) will make a student ineligible for financial aid. Financial Aid SAP status includes all previous academic history, even if the student did not receive financial aid. Find more information on the (SAP) webpage.

Do you have a payment plan?

Yes, you can sign up for the EZ Pay plan or through WebAdvisor.

How does my full-time or part-time enrollment status impact my Financial Aid award(s)?

Your Financial Aid award is prepared based on an anticipated full-time enrollment (Fall and Winter only initially, with Spring/Summer added later in the year, if applicable). If your actual attendance is less than that (for example: part-time), your Financial Aid awards will be adjusted accordingly. Visit the award adjustments page for more information.

How do I apply for Spring/Summer Financial Aid?

Information about Spring/Summer Financial Aid is available on this page.

What types of Financial Aid are available at HFC?

Grants, Loans, Work Study, and Scholarships. Visit this page for more information.

How is my financial need calculated for Financial Aid?

There is a general formula which the Office of Financial Aid uses to calculate the amount of aid each student qualifies for. For more information, visit the calculating need page.

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

Submit the FAFSA online at See our Office of Financial Aid for more information.

What is the Financial Aid Cost of Attendance?

The Cost of Attendance (COA) is an estimate of what it costs the typical student to attend HFC. Your cost of attendance takes into account expenses such as tuition, fees, books, transportation, and living expenses. For more information, visit the cost of attendance page.

I would like to check the status of my financial aid.

Visit WebAdvisor and log in as a student. Select “Financial Aid Checklist”. Once you have accessed your Financial Aid Checklist you can view any financial aid that has been awarded, check for any required documents you must submit as well as view other important information related to the financial aid process.

If you have questions, stop in at the Welcome Center or call 313-845-9616.

How do I know if I will be eligible for Financial Aid?

Financial aid eligibility is determined by information provided on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For general guidelines, visit the eligibility page.

Do I have a balance?

You can view your account activity in WebAdvisor by selecting “View Account and Make Payments”.

I am applying for financial aid to pay for school. How do I make sure my classes are protected and I will not be de-registered from my classes?

Students are strongly encouraged to submit their FAFSA and all required documentation by the Financial Aid Priority Date. Students who meet this deadline will not be de-registered while they wait for their financial aid to be processed.

Students who do not have their FAFSA and all required documents submitted by the Priority Date may set up EZ Pay while they wait for their financial aid to be awarded.

Review more information about class protection.

I need a financial aid form. How do I find the forms?

Students are encouraged to log into WebAdvisor. Select “Financial Aid Checklist” and then go to the “Required Documents” tab. If a student is required to submit a document, it will be reflected in the Required Documents section and also have a link to the required document.

In addition to WebAdvisor, some forms are available on the Financial Aid Forms page.

I was selected for Financial Aid Verification. What do I do?

The purpose of Financial Aid Verification is to verify that certain information on the FAFSA is correct. Most students selected for this process are done so randomly by the U.S. Department of Education.

We encourage students to only submit documentation that is being requested. Submitting documents that are not being requested by our office may cause a delay or temporary cancellation of your Financial Aid award(s). For more information visit the verification page.


What do I do if I don’t want to use my Henry Ford Card?

If you do not want to use a card, please select your refund preference so that BankMobile can confirm your bank account information for direct deposit or your address for check mailing. You will need your personal code information for the "original refund selection". No card need ever be received by you.

What is the Henry Ford Card?

The card is a refund option.

Why is HFC going to the Henry Ford Card?

To expedite student refunds, increase service to students and expand refund options.

How do I get my card?

After your initial registration your card will automatically be mailed to the address HFC has on file for you.

What can my card be used for?

Your card can be used for the same purchases authorized for Financial Aid use if you are receiving Financial Aid. In the case of a refund for a payment received, your card funds can be used as you please.

Where can I get more information about the Henry Ford Card?

Please visit the Student Accounts Webpage under “Refunds.”

Who should use the card?

Only the HFC student the card was issued to is authorized to make purchases on the Henry Ford Card.

How do I activate my card?

Your card must be activated by going to, then select “Getting Started.”

Do I have to use my card?

No, you do not have to use your card to receive refunds. Students may opt to receive refunds via direct deposit or check. Any one of the three options can be selected after the account is activated on

Current Classes

Where are my classes located?

View your class schedule details in WebAdvisor. A campus map is available online at

Where is my instructor’s office, phone number, email?

Search the Staff Directory. If your instructor is not listed, contact the Department that is offering the course.

Where do I buy my books?

You may purchase your books, supplies, and other HFC gear at the HFC College Store. Visit the College Store website to order online, or to view hours and other information.

How do I get a copy of my class schedule?

You can view and print your class schedule in WebAdvisor. From the main “Student Menu”, select “My class schedule” Then select the term and click “Submit.” The student’s schedule will display. Students can print their schedule from here or select “OK” to return to the main menu.

Policies and Student Information

Academic Dismissal and Academic Probation Policy

The policy can be found on page 303 of the current catalog, which is online. This identifies the cutoff credit hours and cumulative GPA for those on academic probation and academic dismissal.

If I receive an appeal approval, how will I be notified?

You will receive an email and letter through U.S. mail with the approval and what courses you will be permitted to take.

When will I hear the decision about my academic dismissal appeal?

The notification deadline is August 15th; however, the Scholastic Review Board is working as hard as they can to have decisions made by mid-July.

How will I be notified about my academic dismissal appeal?

You will receive a letter through U.S. mail and also an email notification through the email address on file with the College.

What if I don't like the academic dismissal appeal decision? Can I appeal again?

Unfortunately, no. The decision of the Scholastic Review Board is final.

How do I get a Student ID?

Student ID cards are free to all students currently enrolled at HFC through the Office of Campus Safety. This card is required to purchase books, use the gym, attend athletic events, borrow materials from the library, etc. To receive a Student ID card, students need their class schedule and a valid picture identification. There is no cost to obtain a Student ID card. If a student loses their Student ID card, there is no cost to replace it. Photos for Student ID cards are taken on the first floor at the Welcome Center (Building WC) on the main campus. The Welcome Center is open for students to get their Student ID cards.

Photos for Heath Career Student ID cards are taken in the Office of Campus Safety, located in the Building (Building N) on the main campus. Again, students need their class schedule and a valid picture identification to obtain a Student ID card.

I was told my academic dismissal appeal is approved but I have to retake 3 classes. I don't want to retake those classes. Do I have to?

Yes, to keep the appeal approval, the student must follow the conditions set forth in the appeal approval.

How do I qualify for the Dean's List

See all previous semester lists and the qualifications for full and part-time student Dean's List

Students on Academic Probation

Students on academic probation can have their probation period ended after making an appointment with a counselor to develop an improvement plan that will lead the student back to good standing. The counselor will remove the hold when meeting with the student.

How do I get a library card?

Library Barcode

A library barcode gives library patrons access to check out books, materials, view databases, and utilize other Eshleman library resources.

HFC Students, Faculty, and Staff

To obtain a library barcode, please bring your valid HFC student ID. If you do not have a valid HFC ID card, please first visit the Welcome Center during business hours to obtain one. If you come to Eshleman Library before or after Welcome Center business hours, please see a Circulation or Media Center staff member.

Guests and Community Members

Anyone from the Dearborn and bordering Michigan communities is entitled to an HFC Eshleman Library Guest card. This card does not include a picture and only holds limited privileges for borrowing materials.

To obtain an HFC Eshleman Library Guest card, please come prepared with a valid government issued picture ID which has your name, current address and expiration date. If the expiration date has not passed, the card is considered valid.

What is Academic Forgiveness?

The purpose of academic forgiveness is to allow a student who has not performed well academically in the past to have a maximum of twelve (12) credit hours of “E” grades removed from their GPA. Download an application and additional information about academic forgiveness.

Graduating and Transferring

How do I know if my classes I took at HFC will transfer to another college?

Visit Transfer Resources and select "Transfer Guides or Articulation Agreements."

How do I apply for graduation?

View more information about graduation requirements and application on this page.

Where do I get my transcripts?

Requests for transcripts can be made through WebAdvisor. You can also print your own copy for personal use.

You can also visit the transcripts page for more information.

If you need a copy of your transcript for yourself, you should log into WebAdvisor and select “Transcript” under the Academic Profile header. This is considered your UNOFFICIAL transcript.

If you would like to request an official copy of your transcript sent to your employer or another institution, select “Transcript Request” and enter the required information. In fact, you can also see the status of your request by clicking on “Transcript Request Status."

I have earned enough credits for a degree or certificate. What do I do?

You can apply for the certificate or degree. Visit the graduation requirements page for more information.

Other Questions from Current Students

When is my final exam?

Check with your instructor or go online to the final exams webpage.

How do I get Registration and Records forms that need to be completed?

For forms such as Veteran’s Certification Request, Letter Request, Authorization to Disclose Information Form, please visit the Registration and Records page and select which form you are interested in. Forms can be scanned and sent by email to or by fax at (313) 845-6464.

What are the specific Degree Requirements at HFC?

View degree requirements online on the degree requirements page. You can also use the Program Evaluation tool in WebAdvisor or view a list of courses required for each program on the Catalog Programs page.

What are the fax numbers for various departments at HFC?

A list of departments with phone and fax numbers is available on this page.

I need to verify my enrollment for insurance or other purposes. Who do I contact?

The Registrar's office can provide enrollment verification in a college level course. For more information, visit the enrollment verification page.

I am interested in earning the MTA Certification. How do I find more information?

You can complete the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) Certification Request form.

I have been dropped for failing prerequisites. What happened?

Each semester the Registration and Records Office runs reports to identify students who are enrolled in but who have failed (or dropped) the prerequisites for their classes. If you have failed a prerequisite for a class you have registered for, you could be dropped.

What is the processing time for items turned in to the Registration and Records Office?

Typical processing time is listed below; however, we work as quickly as possible to complete requests earlier.

Academic Forgiveness Request 2 weeks from receipt
Authorization to Disclose Information 2 business days from receipt
Change of Program Request 5 business days from receipt
Dual Enrollment Application and Registration 10 business days from receipt
Duplicate Diploma Request 2 weeks from receipt**
Form Completion Request 5 business days from receipt
Grade Changes 5 business days from receipt
Graduation Processing 8-12 weeks after the end of the semester
Letter Request 5 business days from receipt
MACRAO Stamp Processing 10 business days from receipt
Official Transfer Credit Evaluation and Posting 2-4 weeks from receipt
Official Transcript Request 2 business days from receipt**
Tuition Appeals 6-8 weeks from receipt

**Longer if the student's records are archived

How do I change my email address or mailing address?

From the main “Student Menu”, select “Address Change.” Enter the updated information and click “Submit."

How do I view my final grades?

From the main “Student Menu” page, select the semester for which a student wants their grades. Always select the “Reporting Term," then click “Submit."

I would like my parent(s) to be able to access my records at HFC. How do I give them authorization?

Complete the Authorization to Disclose form.

How do I apply for a tuition appeal?

Complete the Tuition Appeal Form. The deadline is noted on the new Tuition Appeal Form. Processing time is approximately 4-6 weeks. Decisions are considered final.

IT Services

How do I get email and what is my HawkMail address?

Email services are available to all students enrolled at HFC. You can send and retrieve email using HawkMail.

Can I have a personal Web Page?

To make a home page on the HFC server, simply create a folder in your h: drive called h:\webpage, then create a file called index.html in this folder. You can use any installed web editor to create and maintain your web site. You can access your personal H: drive to maintain this site from off-campus.

The actual home page is called index.html. You can create as many links and subsequent pages off of index.html as you desire. Your web address is where yourname is your login name.

I'm a faculty member and I have a workstation in my office. Can I get to the ACS system?

You cannot log in directly to the ACS server from your office. However, if you simply need access to the "K:" drive and you're on the ADM network, send an email to the IT Services Help Desk or call (313) 845-6345 to request access.

As a faculty member, can I install software on the system?

Not really. You can make data available to your students on drive K: or by placing it on your web page to be downloaded, but please do not install application software in these locations. Also, if you install software on the workstation C: drives, this software can and will be deleted when the workstations are reloaded. Contact your department head to have a IT Services Technician install the software. When possible, please make a backup copy of your application diskettes that the ITS staff can keep on file in case the system needs to be reloaded.

How can I access Wireless @ HFC?

Access is available to all students and instructors in any of the buildings features wireless access. Login information is the same as your Novell network account. More information can be found here.

How do I access my H: and K: drives?

HFC users can access the contents of their home directory (H:) drive and other shared resources (such as the K: drive) using remote home directory access. To connect, go to and log in using your network login and password. You can also download the app for convenient mobile access: Micro Focus Filr iOS app, Micro Focus Filr Android app.

What is my username?

Your username is generated by the HANK system and used by all other systems on campus. This is usually your first initial, middle initial, and last name, followed by a number (if necessary) to create a unique ID.

Use What's My User ID in WebAdvisor to find your username. You will need to provide your last name and either your HANK ID or your Social Security Number for identification.

What is my HANK ID?

Every person entered into the system is identified by a unique seven-digit number. This identifier is your HANK ID. This number should appear on all of your HFC documents, and is the fastest way for HFC staff to check your information when you have a problem or question.

What is my Password?

For information about passwords, including changing or resetting a forgotten password, please visit the HFC Universal Password page.

English Learners (ELI/ELL/ESL)

Can I take college classes at HFC while I am an ELI student?

No. (The only exception is if you have passed ELI 106R but you still need to take ELI 106W. You may then register for ELI 106W, ENG 082 and one additional college class.)

What ESL classes do you offer?

HFC offers six levels of pre-college ESL classes. Classes focus on either writing/grammar or reading/speaking/listening/study skills. Classes in Grammar, TOEFL Preparation and Pronunciation/Conversation are also available.

When do you offer classes?

Year-round, day and evening. There are four academic semesters per year: Fall and Winter Semesters are each 16 weeks long; Spring and Summer are each 8 weeks long. Visit the current Academic Calendar page for more information.

I am in Dearborn. How do I apply?

Go to HFC’s Welcome Center and take the free English Language placement test. Once you have your result, and know which level is right for you, you can register for classes.

I am an international student. How do I apply?

Contact our International Office.

How much do classes cost?

It depends; see our tuition and payment information.

Can I get financial aid?

Yes, if you qualify. Talk to an advisor in the Welcome Center.

Do I have to buy my own textbooks?

Yes. Textbooks (and any accompanying materials) must be purchased by each student and are available in the HFC College Store.

Are there online classes?

Not at this time, although most classes require some online homework.

Can I move automatically from the ELI to the College?

If you successfully pass Level 6 in both Reading and Writing, then yes.

Do I need a TOEFL score to apply to the ELI or to HFC?

No. You only need to take the free placement test at the Welcome Center.