Fifty-One O One Restaurant is open for the Fall semester
Effective Wednesday, September 20, Fifty-One O One, HFC’s student-run on-campus restaurant, will open for Fall.
The restaurant is in the John McDonald Student & Culinary Arts Center (Building M) on the main campus. Hours for fall:
- Tuesdays: 11:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. (lunch)
- Wednesdays: 11:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. (lunch) and 5:30 to 7:45 p.m. (dinner)
- Thursdays: 11:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. (lunch)
"The fall semester is always an exciting time for us. We are excited to re-open the restaurant and share all the dishes we’ve been working on with our guests. I’ve tried most of the dishes, and they are all so amazing," said Lauren Wallace, maître d'hôtel for the restaurant and culinary arts instructor.
The menu changes frequently, because the produce is used at the peak of its freshness and is sourced locally wherever possible. The fall menu features fresh seasonal vegetables in dishes such as:
- Tomato Tart: Michigan tomatoes, eggplant caviar, basil granola
- Beet Salad: Michigan baby beets quinoa, whipped yogurt, pasilla vinaigrette
- Butter-Braised Radishes: Bacon, shallot, sorrel
- Confit Maitake Mushrooms: Chestnut-miso butter, parsley oil, Asian pear
- Oven-Roasted Zucchini: Oven-roasted zucchini and yellow squash, sauce vierge
- Sweet Potato Mille Fuille: Compressed Asian pear, carmelized onion just, creamed spinach
The Neapolitan style pizzas include:
- The Emilia Classic: Mozzarella and classic tomato sauce
- The Peppy: Mozzarella, pepperoni, and classic tomato sauce
- 5101 Sausage: Homemade Italian sausage, roasted peppers, roasted onions, classic tomato sauce
- Mushroom Ragu: Roasted mushrooms, arugula, truffle
- Basque: Mozzarella, Spanish chorizo, goat cheese, piquillo peppers, red onion, Castelvetrano olive, preserved lemon
- Korean BBQ: Mozzarella, beef short ribs, scallion argula, sesame soy chili vinaigrette
The entrees for the opening include:
- Angel Hair Pasta with Shrimp and Chiles: Chitarra pasta, heirloom tomatoes, and preserved lemon
- Wood-Grilled Ribeye Steak: Oxtail Bordelaise, ratatouille
- Roasted Duck: Roasted breast, leg sausage, parsnip, stewed prunes
- Potato Ravioli: Michigan Maitake, tarragon, ricotta salata, whey
- Poached Halibut: Summer succotash, rue-scented onion glace, nori
- Saucisson A L’ail: Cornichon, compressed stone fruit, pearl onion, Dijon
- Lake Superior Whitefish: Guanciale, Brussel sprouts, mussels, braised leeks
Entrees include either a vegetable, salad, or soup before or with the meal.
The menu also includes appetizers, specialty salads and sandwiches, soups, and desserts. As the weeks progress, updated menu information will be on the restaurant’s website.
Ingredient notes: Beef, lamb, veal, chicken and turkey are Halal Certified and are sourced from Saad Wholesale Meats. Local and seasonal produce items are used when available.
Prices are reasonable. Beer and wine are available for purchase to patrons ages 21 and older.
Upcoming special events
Along with its 3-day-per-week services, Fifty-One O One will host special events and buffets throughout the fall semester, including:
- Wednesday, October 18: Oktoberfest Buffet
- Saturday, November 4: Scholarship Dinner
- Wednesday, November 15: Holiday Buffet
- Tuesday, November 21, and Wednesday, November 22: Bake Sale
- Thursday, November 23: Closed for Thanksgiving
- Thursday, December 7: Last day of service for the semester
Parking is free. Reservations are recommended. To make reservations, to place a carryout order, or for questions and more information, call 313-206-5101.