What is Futures for Frontliners?
Futures for Frontliners is a program funded by the Governor’s Emergency Fund, as part of the CARES Act, to allow frontline workers to earn a college degree or credential that will lead to a good-paying job and career path in industries that Michigan needs.
Everyone eligible for the program will receive a tuition-free path to a degree. Other costs will apply.
Henry Ford College will personally support you through this program.
Questions? Call us at 313-845-9600 or email:
What will this program cost?
As long as you meet the Futures for Frontliners program requirements and timelines, your (in-district) tuition and mandatory fees at Henry Ford College will be paid by the State of Michigan.
However, there may be some costs to you as a student.
The State of Michigan has determined that the following costs will NOT be covered by Futures for Frontliners funds:
Out-of-district tuition differential (the difference between in-district and out-of-district tuition, which is currently $75.50 per credit hour).
Books and course materials (including inclusive access book charges at time of registration).
Excess Contact Hour Fees are covered at the In-District Rate (the difference between the in-district and out-of-district Excess Contact Hour Fee rate is currently $75.50 per Excess Contact Hour).
Any technology needs you may have in taking your courses, including such items as computer and internet fees.
HFC has Enrollment services staff who will work to help you find options to cover your costs for this program. We cannot guarantee that the program will be free of cost, but the program will provide funding you would not otherwise have. And we will do our best to help you minimize your out-of-pocket cost. Contact our Financial Aid office or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our goal is to help make sure that financial barriers do not keep you from completing your educational goals and advancing your career.
All Futures for Frontliners students must complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and submit all documents required by the Financial Aid Office. The FAFSA can be completed online at studentaid.gov.
Seeking a bachelor's degree? Transfer scholarships available!
If you want to complete a bachelor's degree after you finish your associate degree at Henry Ford College, consider transferring to one of these universities. They offer scholarships to students who have completed a Henry Ford College associate degree:
- Eastern Michigan University Futures for Frontliners Scholarship
- Oakland University Frontline Workers Scholarship
- University of Michigan-Dearborn Focus on the Finish Scholarship
- Wayne State University Frontliners Forward Scholarship
- This is not an exclusive list of universities, and their scholarships are not exclusive to HFC graduates. Other universities might also offer similar scholarships. Visit your transfer institution of choice for information.
- Admission to these institutions is not guaranteed. Each has its own admissions policies. Visit your institution of choice for information.
Who can I talk to about this program and how to succeed in it?
Your advisors can help you determine your best academic or workforce program, advise you on enrolling, and help you set up a course plan.
Contact an advisor:
A counselor can help you with the personal, academic, and emotional aspects of enrolling in college, to make sure you are prepared to enroll and ready to succeed.
Contact a counselor:
Our commitments to you
We know that one size does not fit all. We are committed to helping you achieve your goals in the fastest time that works for you.
How we will help you:
- We will work to understand your goals, and any barriers you face. We will work to help you overcome the barriers so you can achieve those goals.
- We will work to help you find an educational and career path that best matches your career and professional aspirations.
- We will provide an advisor who will walk you through your course plan and make sure you are on track to graduate from your chosen program on time.
- We will help you create your course plan so that each class you take will apply toward your degree and will be applicable to your goals.
- We will help you navigate the admissions and enrollment process at HFC.
- We will assist you in navigating the financial, academic, and social aspects of your college experience.
For business and industry partners
Henry Ford College welcomes active partnerships from our business and industry partners who are seeking talented, qualified workers to help meet their current and future needs.
Regional employers will tell you that their partnerships with Henry Ford College and our students have led to hires of successful HFC graduates who help their businesses grow and profit.
Business and Industry contact: Vice President Reginald Best, email@example.com
The State of Michigan Futures for Frontliners website has a section containing frequently-asked questions on the following topics:
- Funding and costs
- Applying for College
- Scholarship Renewal
- Applying for the Scholarship
There is a lot of detail on the State of Michigan website, because it is intended for a very broad audience. If you have questions that have not been answered in the sections above, you may request specific information by speaking to one of our HFC advisors or counselors.