The Sexuality And Gender Acceptance Club (SAGA) is a student-led group whose mission is to support students in their lives as LGBTQ+ individuals and allies.
Learn more about SAGA by contacting the group's faculty advisor, Troy Gibson email@example.com. Troy Gibson is a Success Navigator in the Welcome Center who works extensively with students across campus.
We also invite all students to reach out to one of our trained Allies at any time.
Employees and Community
SAFE@HFC is a campus organization of faculty and staff LGBTQ+ allies and community members who are spreading awareness on campus, providing support, and connecting students and employees to resources. Some options for participating include:
- Become an ally or find an ally
- Volunteer with SAFE@HFC
- Attend SAFE@HFC meetings and events
- Learn about support resources
NOTE: While the SAGA student organization is solely for students, SAFE@HFC activities are open to everyone, and we welcome students at any time.
LGBTQ+ resources for the HFC community
In addition to the SAGA student organization and SAFE@HFC organization described above, HFC offers the following resources and information that may be helpful to LGBTQ+ students.
Pronouns and Why They Matter
Henry Ford College recognizes and values the individuality of each of our students. This includes using a person's correct pronoun. We encourage all who are interested in learning more about pronouns to visit Pronouns Matter. This site provides useful information on personal pronouns and their importance.
Preferred First Name
Submit a Preferred First Name Change Request form to designate a preferred first name for use in some HFC systems, documents, and communications.
LGBTQ Student Scholarships
- The James R. Stokes & Frederick W. Hoffman Endowed Scholarship is offered to HFC students who are gay, or are children of a gay parent.
- The Forum Foundation Scholarship for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender students opens in the spring of each year.
- The Transgender First Scholarship is the first national scholarship for underserved transgender students, with an award of $2,500.
- The Point Foundation Community College Program provides scholarship support between $2,000-$4,800, access to counseling, coaching, financial education and more.
- LGBTQ+ students are, of course, also eligible for dozens of other merit- and need-based scholarships available to all HFC students.
Students, staff, and visitors to Henry Ford College’s campuses have access to Gender Inclusive (also referred to as Gender Neutral, Unisex, or Family) restrooms. These restrooms may be used by anyone, regardless of sex, gender identity, or expression. Locations: Gender Inclusive Restrooms are located in buildings on both HFC campuses.
A brief list of definitions of LGBTQ-related terms.
How to support people's identities
A description of some basic steps you can take to support people in their identities, whether or not you are officially an HFC Ally.
We provide recommendations for a number of other external resources that you may wish to consider. If you cannot find what you are seeking, please reach out to one of our Allies (listed above) for assistance. We are here for you!
A Safe Campus
HFC will do all we can to provide a safe environment for all students, free from intimidation and discrimination, and with an open and welcoming stance toward all students, staff, faculty, and visitors. HFC prohibits and will take prompt action against all forms of discrimination, harassment, and violence. If you have experienced harassment or related problems on our campuses, or need information relating to harassment, please contact the Student Title IX Coordinator.
A Welcoming College
The HFC community is dedicated to living the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion by providing a welcoming, supportive learning environment. Learn more about what it means to be a member of our welcoming college community.
The Office of Campus Safety (Building N on the main campus) provides security and safety 24 hours per day/365 days per year. Security services include patrol operations, SafeWalk, first aid response, vehicle jump-starts, incident and accident report documentation, parking enforcement, ID replacement, and security escorts.
HFC's licensed, professional counselors are available to assist you in a caring, confidential setting in dealing with many of life's challenges, including:
- Personal and identity issues
- Coping with change and stress/anxiety reduction
- Assistance during career and life transitions
- Planning your future at HFC and beyond
- Study skills and time management