The Sexuality And Gender Acceptance Club (SAGA) is a student-led group whose mission is to support students in their lives as LGBTQ+ individuals and allies.
Learn more about SAGA by contacting the group's faculty advisor, Chelsea Lonsdale firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chelsea Lonsdale is a full-time faculty member in the English department who works extensively with students, faculty, and staff across campus. She is also a member of the College's Diversity Task Force, the Committee for the Assessment of Student Learning, and other groups.
Employees and Community
SAFE@HFC is a campus organization of faculty and staff LGBTQ+ allies and community members who are spreading awareness on campus, providing support, and connecting students and employees to resources. Some options for participating include:
- Become an ally or find an ally
- Volunteer with SAFE@HFC
- Attend SAFE@HFC meetings and events
- Learn about support resources
NOTE: While the SAGA student organization is solely for students, SAFE@HFC activities are open to everyone, and we welcome students at any time.
LGBTQ+ Resources for HFC Students
In addition to the SAGA student organization and SAFE@HFC organization described above, HFC offers the following resources and information that may be helpful to LGBTQ+ students.
Preferred First Name
Submit a Preferred First Name Change Request form to designate a preferred first name for use in some HFC systems, documents, and communications.
LGBTQ Student Scholarships
- The James R. Stokes & Frederick W. Hoffman Endowed Scholarship is offered to HFC students who are gay, or are children of a gay parent.
- The Forum Foundation Scholarship for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender students opens in the spring of each year; we will provide details as they become available.
- LGBTQ+ students are, of course, also eligible for dozens of other merit- and need-based scholarships available to all HFC students.
Students, staff, and visitors to Henry Ford College’s campuses have access to Gender Inclusive (also referred to as Gender Neutral, Unisex, or Family) restrooms. These restrooms may be used by anyone, regardless of sex, gender identity, or expression. Locations: Gender Inclusive Restrooms are located in buildings on both HFC campuses.
A Safe Campus
HFC will continue to provide a safe environment for all students, free from intimidation and discrimination, and with an open and welcoming stance toward all students, staff, faculty, and visitors. HFC prohibits and will take prompt action against all forms of discrimination, harassment, and violence. If you have experienced harassment or related problems on our campuses, or need information relating to harassment, please contact the Student Title IX Coordinator.
A Welcoming College
The HFC community is dedicated to living the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion by providing a welcoming, supportive learning environment. Learn more about what it means to be a member of our welcoming college community.
The Office of Campus Safety (Building N on the main campus) provides security and safety 24 hours per day/365 days per year. Security services include patrol operations, SafeWalk, first aid response, vehicle jump-starts, incident and accident report documentation, parking enforcement, ID replacement, and security escorts.
HFC's licensed, professional counselors are available to assist you in a caring, confidential setting in dealing with many of life's challenges, including:
- Personal and identity issues
- Coping with change and stress/anxiety reduction
- Assistance during career and life transitions
- Planning your future at HFC and beyond
- Study skills and time management