The University Transfer, Advising, and Career Counseling Center is located on the first floor of the Learning Resource Center (LRC). We offer the services below.
Let's Talk Now!
Make your academic advising appointment today. Get ready for registration. Call (313) 845-9611 today and schedule your appointment.
Selecting a Career Path
Our goal at Academic Advising is to assist you in selecting a career path. This service provides advice to students regarding the implementation and achievement of their educational goals. Counselors advise students in the following areas:
- Selection of courses related to an educational program/curriculum/degree.
- Selection of an appropriate schedule/times for classes.
- Time management/balancing classes taken with various lifestyles.
- Study skills, planning, and development
HFCC offers four ways for you to connect your goals to a career path.
- In-Person Advising: Call the University Transfer, Advising, and Career Counseling Center at (313) 845-9611.
- Online Advising: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Online Advising." In the message indicate the academic pathway or area of interest.
- Self-Service Advising: Click here to link to the Programs of Study page that provides career pathways (guide-sheets) for each of the degrees and certificates that HFCC offers.
- Online Program Evaluation (Degree Audit): HFCC's WebAdvisor offers an interactive online evaluation of your progress toward the completion of a degree or certificate. You must be a currently enrolled HFCC student with a WebAdvisor password to access this service.
This service assists students in the lifelong process of choosing, planning, and preparing for appropriate careers. All of our counselors are State of Michigan Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC) or Limited Licensed Professional Counselors (LLPC) and many have additional National Board of Certified Counseling certifications in counseling (NCC) and career counseling (NCCC). Career planning services include:
- Selection of a career path and a plan to implement this path through selection of formal education, training, and practical experience.
- Assessment of interests, values, and skills through standardized assessments and self assessment.
- Career Resource Center
We are dedicated to providing students with a comprehensive program of counseling services. Assistance and support during career/life transitions.
- Stop Test Anxiety
- Changing self-defeating behaviors
- Stress/anxiety reduction
- Coping with change
Transferring HFCC Credits To Other Colleges & Universities
This service assists students with the selection of courses taught at HFCC which will transfer to other educational institutions (4-year colleges and universities). The following resources are available.
Transfer Guides are the outlines of classes that students intending to transfer to a 4-year educational institution should follow. Each transfer institution typically has a Transfer Guide for specific majors. It also has Transfer Guides for those students who may be undecided or are planning to transfer in a Liberal Arts direction. HFCC Counselors are available to help all students interpret the Transfer Guides, as well as select or narrow down the choices of a transfer institution.
HFCC’s University Transfer, Advising, and Career Counseling Center currently has Transfer Guides on “hard copy” of the major institutions in Michigan. Below are the transfer institutions that currently have their Transfer Guides available online. Select the transfer institution below and then select the program (Transfer Guide) that you wish to see. These Transfer Guides are formatted to allow you to print up a hard copy exactly as it appears in our office. As additional institutions make the Transfer Guides available, they will also appear as links.
- Central Michigan University
- Eastern Michigan University
- Ferris State University
- Franklin University
- Grand Valley State University
- Kettering University
- Lawrence Technological University
- Michigan Technological University
- Northern Michigan University
- Oakland University
- University of Detroit Mercy
- University of Michigan - Dearborn
- Walsh College
- Wayne State University
COURSE EQUIVALENCY LISTS
Equivalency guides are alphabetical listings of HFCC classes and their transferability to other educational institutions. Lists for many Michigan colleges and universities are available on a help-yourself basis in the file cabinets in the reception area of the Counseling Center. Michigan College Mall online can also provide course equivalency information.
The articulation agreements are guides for students following specific programs at HFCC.
Hours and Location
The University Transfer, Advising, and Career Counseling Center is located on the first floor of the Learning Resources Center (LRC), on the north side (parking lot side) of the building. See a map of campus. Monday – Thursday, 8:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
To see a counselor, call (313) 845-9611 or send an email to email@example.com. Include in the subject line "Counselor Appointment." In the message provide your name and telephone number, and someone will contact you regarding a counselor's availability.