HFC hosts public forum with Michigan Dept. of Treasury on lifetime financial literacy
State Treasurer Rachael Eubanks today announced Michiganders, state agencies, community partners, and key stakeholders will begin a statewide conversation about the role financial literacy has in shaping Michigan’s future and making our state a home for opportunity.
At the State of Michigan MI Financial Literacy Forum scheduled at Henry Ford College at 10 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 16, a panel of experts will present on financial topics related to various phases in life.
Attendees will engage in conversation with experts and share resources and best practices related to financial literacy.
“This is a great forum to discuss how our financial literacy needs evolve throughout our lives, and how we can best financially empower individuals, families and communities through statewide coordination,” State Treasurer Rachael Eubanks said. “If we work together and align our efforts, we will have a much greater impact providing a road for opportunity for all Michiganders.”
The forum is free and open to the public (register below), with key stakeholders providing insight and expertise to begin working on the development of financial literacy tools and coursework to best meet the needs of Michiganders in all phases of life. The discussion will be moderated by the state treasurer.
Panel members and discussion topics include:
- Brian Rakovitis, Community Economic Development Association of Michigan – Early Childhood
- Derek D’Angelo, Michigan Council on Economic Education – Teens/Young Adults
- Chelsea Neblett, City of Detroit – Midlife/Workforce
- Linda Cena, Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs – Older Americans
Takeaways from the discussion will be used to develop online resources and coursework to be piloted at Henry Ford College.
Please register no later than noon on Friday, Sept. 13. While there is no cost to attend, registration is required due to limited space.
Questions about the MI Financial Literacy forum should be directed to TreasComm@michigan.gov.
- 10:00 a.m. - 10:25 a.m. Check-in/refreshments
- 10:25 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. Welcome: President Russell Kavalhuna, Henry Ford College, and State Treasurer Rachael Eubanks
- 10:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. Financial Literacy Stage of Life Panel Discussion, facilitated by State Treasurer Rachael Eubanks
- 11:00 a.m. - 11:45 a.m. Q & A
- 11:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Closing remarks
Press Hotline: 517-335-2167