Henry Ford College co-hosts Voting Rights Town Hall on Oct. 23
Henry Ford College (HFC), the League of Women Voters (LWV) of Dearborn-Dearborn Heights, and the United Way for Southeastern Michigan will host the Voting Rights Town Hall on Monday, Oct. 23, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. This event will occur in the Forfa Auditorium, located on the first floor of the Andrew A. Mazzara Administrative Services & Conference Center (ASCC) (Building L) on the main campus.
A coalition of nonpartisan organizations and state legislators are holding this Town Hall in an effort to educate the community about various political issues. Panelists will be on hand to answer specific questions about voting rights and protections. These panelists include:
- Sharon Dolente of the ACLU,
- Charles Schoder of the Michigan Civil Rights Commission (MCRC),
- Rachid Elabed of ACCESS,
- Lacy Dawson of Michigan Voice. State Legislators will also be in attendance to listen to and address any concerns voters may have in this upcoming election on Tuesday, Nov. 7. These legislators include:
- State Sen. Morris W. Hood III,
- State Sen. David Knezek,
- Rep. Abdullah Hammoud,
- Rep. Sylvania Santana.
Other community partners include:
- Asian & Pacific Islander American (APIA) Vote,
- University of Michigan-Dearborn (UM-Dearborn) Institute for Local Government,
- Alpha Kappa Alpha of Inkster,
- LWV Public Advocacy for Voter Protection,
- Team City of Dearborn.
This event is free and open to the public. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. for light refreshments and visiting with representatives from the participating groups. For further information about the Voting Rights Town Hall, contact the LWV at 313-278-6476.