To reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19, HFC will not offer in-person tutoring services. All students can sign up for tutoring services online with HFC faculty and professional tutors. See "Signing up for in-person (face-to-face) tutoring" below for online appointments with HFC tutors, or "Signing up for online tutoring" with NetTutor professionals.
Peer and Professional Tutoring Services at HFC
HFC provides free online and face-to-face tutoring to help you achieve your educational goals.
Tutoring is offered for various subjects at different times of the day, according to the availability of tutors. To see current schedules for all peer and professional tutors, follow the instructions for face-to-face tutoring and login through TutorTrac.
All tutoring takes place during the normal business hours of the HFC Learning Lab. Tutoring will be limited during the beginning of the semester and during final exam week.
Rules for your Learning Lab appointment
- No same-day appointments are available. You may still drop in without an appointment, and work with an available tutor.
- You may not make an appointment more than 14 days in advance.
- You may not schedule more than 2 appointments in a 7-day period. You may drop in as often as you wish.
- Failure to attend or to cancel a scheduled appointment may result in a loss of appointment privileges.
- Appointments may not be available during the first few weeks of the semester, due to scheduling issues. However, you may drop in during that time to see an available tutor.
- You must check in at the front desk before receiving tutoring, even if you have an appointment. Provide your student ID, and let them know you are here for tutoring. You must also check out at the front desk after your tutoring session.
- Tutors will help you with assignment clarification, understanding formulas and concepts, and grammar.
- Tutors will not help you complete graded assignments, essays, or labs.
- You should prepare for tutoring by bringing assignments, instructions, lecture notes, questions you have for the tutor, and have a goal in mind for the tutoring session.
Signing up for online tutoring
The HFC Learning Lab and Tutoring Services provides online tutoring through a partnership with Link-Systems International, Inc., the owner of NetTutor. This service is provide at no cost to HFC students.
NetTutor offers students 24/7/365 access to ESL, English / writing, and mathematics support, among other academic subjects.
To view videos demonstrating how NetTutor works, please visit the NetTutor YouTube Playlist.
Signing up for in-person (face-to-face) tutoring
- Henry Ford College provides tutoring through the HFC Learning Lab and Tutoring Services. To learn more about tutoring available through our department, please review our F.A.Q. Follow the steps to schedule an appointment with one of our tutors today.
Log in to TutorTrac
- Go to the TutorTrac website
- Use your HFC username and password to login.
To search available tutoring times
- Select "Search Availability..." on the left side.
- You will see the following:
- Center: Choose the area in which you need tutoring.
- Consultants: (Optional) Choose the tutor you want, if you have one in mind.
- Section: Ignore this field.
- Reason: Ignore this field.
- Location: Ignore this field.
- From:/To: Choose the date range for appointments that will work for you.
- Time: (Optional) Choose the time range for the appointments that will work for you.
- Days: (Optional) Choose the days that will work for you. Note: You can also select 'All', 'None', or 'M-F'
- Once you're finished, select "Search"
Making an appointment
- After you select "Search", the available date, the tutor, and the time the tutor is available will appear.
- The time is in green.
- Select the time you'd like, and a new window will pop up.
- On that window, you will see the following:
- Center: This is the area of study you selected.
- Location: This the location of the tutoring. (The default is Learning Lab.)
- Subject: This is a list of all the courses you're currently taking. Choose the one in which you need help.
- Date: This is the date of the appointment.
- Time: This is the time of the appointment.
- Notes: (Optional) Additional notes you'd like your tutor to know.
- Once you're finished, select 'Save.'
Online "Walk-in" Tutoring
Attending an online "walk-in" tutoring session is simple. Refer to the chart and steps below to learn how to attend a session. Reach out if you need assistance, we are here for you.
- Check for subject and walk-in tutoring availability in the chart.
- Follow the link listed in the subject name to reach the tutor's room. (HFC login required. For the best user experience, please download the Microsoft Teams application.)
- Once you are in the tutor’s room:
a. In the text box, type “@[tutor’s name]” to start a conversation with the tutor; OR
b. Use the camera icon to start a meeting with the tutor.
|Subject||Tutor||Courses Supported||Schedule||Notes||End Date|
|Architecture||James Brosius||Most BLDA courses||Tuesday: noon – 5:00 p.m.,
Thursday: noon – 5:00 p.m.
|Chemistry||Mahin Baghdadchi||CHEM-111, CHEM-131, CHEM-141||Tuesday: 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.,
Wednesday: 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.,
Thursday: 3:00 p.m.–6:00 p.m.
|Mathematics||Martin Humphreys||Most MATH courses (Math-010 to MATH-183)||Monday: 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.,
Tuesday: 3:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.,
Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.,
Thursday: 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.,
Friday: Noon – 4:00 p.m.
|Mathematics - Physics||Murtaza Nek||Most MATH courses; 100 level PHYS courses||Monday: 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.,
Tuesday: 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.,
Wednesday: 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.,
Thursday: 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.,
Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
|Biology||Maris Polanco||BIO-130, BIO-131, BIO-233, BIO-234||Monday: noon – 3:00 p.m.,
Tuesday: noon – 3:00 p.m.,
Wednesday: noon – 3:00 p.m.,
Thursday: noon – 3:00 p.m.
|Unavailable 7/06/2020, 7/20-7/22/2020||8/17/2020|
|English||Sherry Stillman||ENG-094, ENG-131, ENG-132, ENG-248||Tuesday: 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.,
Wednesday: 8:00 a.m. – noon,
Thursday: 9:00 a.m. – noon
|Can also support English, Reading, and Writing questions||7/23/2020|
How can I view my appointment?
- Select "Main Menu" on the right side.
- On the right screen, a list of all your appointments will appear.
- If selected, a window will open with all of the appointment information.
- On this window, you will be able to upload a document for your tutor to see.
How can I cancel an appointment?
- Select the "x" at the end of the appointment. This will bring up the "Appointment Cancelation" window.
- Note: You can add a reason to let your tutor know why you're canceling.
- To keep the appointment, select "Keep Appointment."
- To confirm that you wish to cancel, select "Confirm Cancelation."
Would you like to be a tutor? Paid and volunteer opportunities
Paid student positions
The Learning Lab hires Henry Ford College students to be peer tutors and student clerks.
To be considered for a paid position as a peer tutor or student clerk, please visit the HFC Career Services website to view open positions and additional information.
Volunteer student positions
If you are looking to fulfill volunteer/service hours as a peer tutor, please contact Nancy Papp (firstname.lastname@example.org, 313-317-1786) for more information.
The Learning Lab hires individuals with appropriate qualifications and experience for paid positions as professional tutors. Current positions are posted on the HFC Career Opportunities webpage.
Full-time HFC faculty seeking to tutor in the Learning Lab should first discuss this with their Associate Dean/Department Chair/Program Coordinator, and contact Chardin Claybourne (email@example.com, 313-845-9818) following this discussion.
Faculty recommendation form
Please use the Faculty Recommendation Form for Student Tutor/Clerk Positions (HFC Portal login required) to submit recommendations for students applying for peer tutor and student clerk positions.