The HFC Public Speaking Lab is a free resource for all HFC students. Staffed by full-time Speech instructors, the Lab welcomes students seeking help with a presentation, help with confidence building, help with speech anxiety, and help building their career skills relating to oral presentations.
Speech students receive first priority, but we always have time for students in any other class, such as business, marketing, engineering, education, health careers, or any other program.
Dreading that speech assignment?
We understand. At some point in their lives, most people experience at least some level of anxiety about standing up in front of others to speak. We can help you prepare topically, structurally, and personally to put your best foot forward in public speaking. Students have told us they came to enjoy public speaking, after getting some good practice and successes under their belt.
What services are available in the Lab?
- Preparing to give a speech
- Selecting and preparing a topic
- Rehearsing and delivering a speech or presentation
- Recording and playing back video, so you can see how you're doing
- Preparing your speaking outline
- Assisting you in analyzing your presentation
- Preparing for small group presentations
- Preparing conference presentations
- Addressing speech anxiety and developing skills for overcoming it
- Assisting with difficulties in giving speeches and presentations
Speech instructors are friendly, approachable, and willing to help you with any form of public speaking skills.
The Public Speaking Lab is here to help, no matter what your situation or pre-existing level of skill. Take advantage of the service and improve your presentation and oral communication skills. You'll become more at ease and a better presenter.
How do I make an appointment?
Call 313-845-9634 to schedule an appointment, or stop by the School of Liberal Arts office in the F building to make an appointment.
What should I bring?
- Your assignment
- An outline or whatever you've already prepared
- Any previous speeches or presentations you want to use as reference material
- An open mind
What can I expect?
- One-on-one or group consultation with an expert Speech instructor
- A friendly, judgment-free environment designed to help you relax and do your best work
- Professional, experienced coaching and feedback
- Time commitment from 15 minutes to an hour
- Follow-up appointments encouraged
- Development of better oral communication skills