We are now working with students through Zoom and other videoconferencing systems!
Making a presentation or giving a speech online? Just want to hone your skills for online or in-person presentations? We are working with students using the videoconferencing tools that are most familiar to you. Reach out to us to make an appointment today.
Call 313-845-9624, or email one of us for an appointment:
The HFC Public Speaking Lab is a free resource for all HFC students. Staffed by expert, friendly HFC Speech instructors, the Lab welcomes students seeking help with a presentation, help with confidence building, help with speech anxiety, and help building their career skills relating to oral presentations.
Speech students receive first priority, but we always have time for students in any other program, such as business, marketing, engineering, education, health careers, and many more.
Dreading that speech assignment?
We understand. At some point in their lives, most people experience at least some level of anxiety about standing up in front of others to speak. We can help you prepare topically, structurally, and personally to put your best foot forward in public speaking. Students have told us they came to enjoy public speaking, after getting some good practice and successes under their belt.
What services are available in the Lab?
- Preparing to give a speech
- Selecting and preparing a topic
- Rehearsing and delivering a speech or presentation
- Recording and playing back video, so you can see how you're doing
- Preparing your speaking outline
- Assisting you in analyzing your presentation
- Preparing for small group presentations
- Preparing conference presentations
- Addressing speech anxiety and developing skills for overcoming it
- Assisting with difficulties in giving speeches and presentations
Speech instructors are friendly, approachable, and willing to help you with any form of public speaking skills.
The Public Speaking Lab is here to help, no matter what your situation or pre-existing level of skill. Take advantage of the service and improve your presentation and oral communication skills. You'll become more at ease and a better presenter.
How do I make an appointment?
Call 313-845-9624 or email one of our expert instructors below to make an appointment.
What should I bring?
- Your assignment
- An outline or whatever you've already prepared
- Any previous speeches or presentations you want to use as reference material
- An open mind
What can I expect?
- One-on-one or group consultation with an expert Speech instructor
- A friendly, judgment-free environment designed to help you relax and do your best work
- Professional, experienced coaching and feedback
- Time commitment from 15 minutes to an hour
- Follow-up appointments encouraged
- Development of better oral communication skills
Who are the expert coaches?
Three faculty members are ready and willing to help you:
- Sherry Kelly, faculty member, Speech, email Sherry Kelly for an appointment
- Vinita Parekh, faculty member, Speech, email Vinita Parekh for an appointment
- Doris Toney, faculty member, Speech, email Doris Toney for an appointment
Opening of Public Speaking Lab, 2018: Doris Toney, fourth from left, and Vinita Parekh, sixth from left, co-founded the Public Speaking Lab to help HFC students improve their presentation and speaking skills in an informal, hands-on, comfortable setting, with lots of professional encouragement. Sherry Kelly has since joined the coaching team.