Course Placement Test Assistance
Henry Ford College (HFC) uses different placement tests to help us determine your best fit at the college. Some of the assessments test your existing knowledge, while others grant you admission to specific programs of study, such as the HESI Nursing Admissions Test.
The information here will help you to learn more about the tests available at HFC. We offer resources, sample questions, and guides that will help you develop a focused approach to the tests.
Math Course Placement Improvement (MyLab Foundational Skills)
Would you like to improve your score on the Math Course Placement exam? The Mathematics department has developed a tool for students who are seeking to improve their placement testing results.
ACCUPLACER is an assessment used by HFC to test students' knowledge in math and reading. Based on your results, you will be placed in a course that is most appropriate to help you grow from your current skill level.
ACCUPLACER uses a multiple-choice format. There is no time limit. It is very important to allow enough time to complete the assessment without feeling rushed. Take the time you need to do your best work.
ACCUPLACER questions increase or decrease in difficulty based on the answers you provide to previous questions. This provides a more customized assessment of your skill level.
To learn more about the ACCUPLACER, visit the following links:
Next-Generation ACCUPLACER includes information about test content.
ACCUPLACER Web App (account creation and log-in required) will familiarize you with the style and content of test questions.
Next-Generation Reading Sample Questions is a PDF of sample reading questions.
Next-Generation Arithmetic Sample Questions is a PDF of sample arithmetic (basic math) questions.
Next-Generation Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Sample Questions is a PDF of sample reasoning, algebra, and statistics questions.
Next-Generation Advanced Algebra and Functions Sample Questions is a PDF of sample advanced algebra and functions questions.
CaMLA English Placement Test (EPT)
The CaMLA English Placement Test (also known as the Michigan English Placement Test) is a computerized 60-minute test. If you have graduated from middle school in a non-English speaking country, you must take this test.
There are 80 questions divided into four parts: listening comprehension, grammar, vocabulary, and reading comprehension.
To learn more about the Michigan EPT, visit the following links:
- HFC English Language Institute homepage
- Michigan EPT at Michigan Language Assessment contains information including test content and scoring.
- Michigan EPT Sample Items
- ESL Testing Information Sheet (log-in required) (from HFC English Language Institute)
- ESL Testing Information Sheet – Arabic Translation (log-in required) (from HFC English Language Institute)
- ESL Testing Information Sheet (log-in required) (from HFC Assessment Center)
- ESL Testing Information Sheet – Arabic Translation (log-in required) (from HFC Assessment Center)
Nursing Admissions Test (HESI Admission Assessment Exam)
The HFC Nursing Program requires applicants to take the online Nursing Admission Test, or NAT.
(HESI is an acronym for the name of the company that produces the test, Health Education Systems Incorporated.)
To register, you must log into HFC Self-Service and search the course catalog for "NAT 100." The NAT is administered at the HFC School of Nursing's computer lab and is proctored.
To learn more about the NAT, visit the following links:
- HFC nursing admissions is a page maintained by the School of Nursing and has information about the Nursing Program's admission process.
- HFC Campus Map (location of the HFC School of Nursing, East Campus)
- Nursing Admission Test (NAT) Subject Guide (log-in required)
All learning resources (models, books, calculators, headphones, etc.) belong to the HFC Learning Lab. No learning resources are available for use outside of the HFC Learning Lab.
If you take items from the HFC Learning Lab or damage them, we will charge you the full cost for replacing the items. A current HFC Student ID is required to use most learning resources.
The HFC Learning Lab has a collection of anatomical models for students' use. These models are kept in the Biology Lab (the "Bone Room") and are available for you to borrow for up to 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, a fee will be charged.
The models cannot be removed from the Biology Lab (or, in times of high usage, the immediate area outside of the Biology Lab) without permission.
We also feature anatomy and physiology videos produced by HFC faculty.
The HFC Learning Lab has an in-house library of course-specific and subject-specific textbooks. All textbooks are free for students' use, on a first-come, first-served basis.
A list of our current books may be referenced at LibraryThing.
The MediaScape allows students to collaborate on group assignments by connecting up to four laptops to a shared monitor. Students can then toggle the MediaScape display to mirror the screen of their laptop.
Headphones and calculators may also be borrowed from the front desk.
Computers and Printers
The HFC Learning Lab has more than 40 computers for student use. Login with your HFC username and password.
Most of the computers in the HFC Learning Lab are connected to a multifunction device (computers in tutoring areas are not connected). This allows students to print and to make copies. Students can also scan documents and send the resulting PDF file to an email address or USB drive at no charge.
1. First use the print function within the program.
2. Write down or take a picture of your unique document ID number, and follow the prompts at the print station.
3. You may also choose to send a confirmation email to your account.
Students may also send a print job to our printers from laptops or from off campus. Upload the document to PrintMe.com and obtain a document ID number to use at the print station. These unique numbers are valid for 24 hours.
- Printing requires a card payment. Students without a debit or credit card are welcome to add cash or change onto a free, reusable print card.
- Black and white printing and copying is 10¢ per page.
- Color printing and copying is $1 per page.
- Users may also print directly from flash drives, Google Drive, or a HawkMail account.
- Both of the printers in the Learning Lab may also be used as photocopiera. Payment is made with a debit, credit, or print card.
- Both of the printers are able to scan documents and send the resulting PDF file to an email address or USB drive at no charge.
Please review the College policy on computer use.
The Learning Lab provides free handouts (log-in required) for you to use on a variety of subjects, including topics in ESL, math, reading, and writing. Some handouts are informational or instructional, while others contain practice exercises and sample problems. These are excellent tools to use when working with a tutor.
These handouts are PDF files, and can be printed at no cost from within the Learning Lab.