Trade and Apprentice
Since the establishment of Henry Ford College, Trade and Apprentice Education has played a significant role in industrial and technical education for adults of all ages and working-class families. With support from regional businesses and industry, HFC is leading the way in apprenticeship education and training.
Interested in this program?
What is the Trade and Apprentice Education program?
Since 1953, Trade and Apprentice Education at HFC has developed into one of the largest apprenticeship training programs in the country. This is due in no small part to major industry support. Our close working relationship with automotive manufacturers and others has resulted in an international reputation in the field of apprenticeship. Consider a skilled trade or apprenticeship today. This will allow you to learn new skills and earn your technical license or journeyman card.
Why should I choose this program?
Workforce preparation: After successfully completing the TAE program, you'll be well prepared for the labor force and for in-demand jobs. You'll develop specialized skills that address the current and future needs of industry. We don't just align our programs with industry -- our programs are designed by industry.
Quality education: We offer day and evening classes in three consecutive 15-week semesters to provide you with year-round instruction. If you are currently in a job, we conform to your shift changes with flexible class times.
Solid reputation: Through our industry-sponsored apprenticeship and training programs, we've trained more than 20,000 manufacturing and maintenance skilled trades workers and craftspersons.
What skills will I learn and improve?
- Machine Tool Technology
- Advanced precision machining skills using computer numerical controlled (CNC) machining and turning centers, and CAD/CAM software.
- Engineering Technology
- Technical skills required in workplaces through computer and laboratory-based practice
- Basic principles of electricity
- Concepts of electrical components
- Welding Technology
- Hands-on welding, layout, and fitting skills
- Extensive exposure to welding principles and practices
- SMAW, GMAW, and GTAW welding processes, and how to operate the plasma arc cutting and oxy/fuel cutting processes
- Metallurgy and weld inspection procedures.
- CAD Technology – Industrial Drafting
- Experience with CAD programs and applications
- Manual drafting to CAD design, detailing, and problem solving
- Layout and detailing in product design
- Machine element drafting
- Fixture design
- Die design
- Applied Plumbing and Pipefitting
- Basic concepts and principles of plumbing and pipe-fitting theory, design, installation, plumbing codes, blueprint reading and construction project management
- Industrial Sewing
- Skills and knowledge in safety, ergonomics, sewing machine operation, stitching and finishes, set-up, quality, maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Train with woven, knits, expanded vinyl, fine fabrics, and leather
What are my career opportunities?
Machine Tool Technology/CNC
Median Pay: $45,750 per year or $21.99 per hour
- Automation and Control Technician
- CNC Set-up Technician
- Engineering Technician
- Quality Controller
- Laboratory Technician
- Tool Analyst
- Pre-production Planner
- Plastic R & D Technician
- Sales & Service Engineer
- Process Engineer
- Test Technician
Electrical Engineering Technology
Median Pay: $65,260 per year or $31.38 per hour
- Computer Service
- Instrumentation Set-up
- Machine Service
- Quality Control
- Research and Development
- Machine Controls
- Instrumentation Repair
- Microprocessor Systems
- Product Evaluation
CAD Technology Industrial Drafting
Applied Plumbing and Pipefitting
Program features and benefits
Registered Apprentices We are a Department of Labor-approved educational provider, with 21 different official agreements in Trade and Apprentice Education.
Technical Skills Our unique technical study methods combine classroom with real-world experience. You'll work on industry partnered projects while gaining credit.
Skilled Trades Faculty Our classes are taught by skilled tradespeople working in their fields. Their passions, talent and rich knowledge will enhance your educational experience.