Course Placement Testing
What to Expect
- A valid photo ID is mandatory for all students testing.
- Allow approximately two hours to complete the process. The Accuplacer Math and Reading course placement is not timed. The CaMLA ESL course placement is timed and allows 60 minutes for completion.
- No appointment is necessary.
- All mobile devices must be off before entering testing area.
- Get a good night's sleep before you test!
- The Course Placement tests are computerized tests and require you to know how to use a computer to enter your answers.
- A pop-up calculator is available within the Math placement test. No other calculators may be used.
- You may not use study aids on any section.
Accuplacer is a computer-based placement test; it is a product of The College Board. All Math and Reading course placement is done using Accuplacer.
If you attended middle school in a non-English speaking country, you will be administered the ESL Course Placement called CaMLA. The CaMLA English Placement Test provides an accurate assessment of a general language proficiency by measuring performance in the following skill areas:
- Listening comprehension,
- Grammatical knowledge,
- Vocabulary range, and
- Reading comprehension.
The Chemistry Placement Test is for students who wish to register for CHEM 141. To take the Chemistry Placement Test, you need to accomplish one of the following:
- Completed Math 080 with a passing grade;
- Test into Math 110 or higher via a course placement test;
- Score a 22 or higher on the math section of the ACT and send us the official score;
- Score a 500 or higher on the math section of the SAT (taken after January 2016) and send us the official score.
You can retake the Accuplacer course placement for a second time after 24 hours. If you wish to retake course placement for the third and final time, you must obtain written permission from Academic Advising or Counseling. You can retake the CaMLA ESL test for a second time after 24 hours. If you wish to take the CaMLA test for the third and final time, you must wait three months before doing so. If you are currently enrolled in the ELI or in an ESL course, you may not test again until two weeks before final exams. The placement test cannot be used to substitute for course performance.
To prepare for the Course Placement assessment, or if you feel you can improve your scores, you may take advantage of resources at the HFC Learning Lab. Or view College Board’s Accuplacer information and resources to find out more about what to expect on the Accuplacer.
Your test scores are available for you to print at any time. To access your scores, log in to WebAdvisor and choose the Student Planning link. Under the Student Planning drop-down menu at the top, choose Test Summary.
You may also request your Course Placement scores by submitting an Authorization to Release Placement Score Form to the Assessment Center. Incomplete forms will not be processed. Scores that can be requested include COMPASS and Accuplacer.