Note: motorcycle class registration is full.
HFC offers motorcycle classes for Basic Riders and Returning Basic Riders during the weekends. The classes will meet in the Community Room of the Welcome Center on the main campus and riding practice will occur in Parking Lots F and G, which is also in the main campus.
The Basic Rider class is for students who have nominal experience riding a motorcycle. Throughout the 16 hours of class (four hours in the classroom and 12 hours on the range), students will learn the following basic riding skills: turning, shifting and braking.
Motorcycles for the Basic Rider class will be available. Students who successfully complete this course may waive the Secretary of State riding skills test. This class takes place on Friday evenings from 6 to 10 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. during the following dates:
- Friday, May 16; Saturday, May 17; Sunday, May 18;
- Friday, May 30; Saturday, May 31; Sunday, June 1;
- Friday, June 6; Saturday, June 7; Sunday, June 8;
- Friday, June 20; Saturday, June 21; Sunday, June 22;
- Friday, July 11; Saturday, July 12; Sunday, July 13; and
- Friday, July 18; Saturday, July 19; Sunday, July 20.
The Returning Basic Rider class is targeted at unlicensed but experienced riders and licensed riders who desire a skills refresher. In this class, students will learn the following skills: braking, counter steering, turning, speed judgment and other essential safety techniques.
For the Returning Basic Rider class, students must bring their own motorcycle or scooter. No sharing is permitted. Each motorcycle must be titled, registered and display a valid license plate. Proof of insurance must be provided and the bike must pass a safety inspection. Students who successfully complete the course may waive the Secretary of State riding skills test.
This class takes place Saturday, June 14, from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For both classes, students must bring the following to all classes:
- A helmet approved by the Michigan Dept. of Transportation (MDOT);
- A long-sleeve jacket or a long-sleeve heavy shirt;
- Heavy-duty long pants;
- Eye protection – glasses or goggles (required even with a helmet with a face-shield);
- Full-fingered gloves;
- Rain and cold weather gear (as needed);
- Appropriate footwear. Ankles must be covered and the boot must have a hard sole—sandals/open-toed shoes, high heels, or high-top tennis shoes are NOT permitted; and
- Writing utensil and notebook.
To register for either motorcycle riding class, students should visit www.hfcc.edu and in the bottom left corner of page under Quick Links, click on WebAdvisor. From there, click “Workforce & Professional Dev. (Non-Credit).” Then click “Register and Pay for Continuing Education Classes.”
Students can also register in person by visiting Building A of the M-TEC Building, located at 3601 Schaefer Road in Dearborn. Students can pay using cash (exact amount), money order, or major credit card. No checks accepted.
The cost for each class is $25. Please note that these classes are non-refundable and non-transferable. For further information, contact M-TEC at 313.317.6600 or firstname.lastname@example.org.