WHFR Radiothon Week 2014 April 6-12
HFCC's student-run radio station WHFR-FM (89.3) will hold Radiothon Week 2014 from Sunday, April 6, to Saturday, April 12, with live concerts and special on-air events scheduled, including the chance to win a weekend lease of a brand new Ford vehicle.
This week-long fund-raiser offers the community a chance to show its support for programming on WHFR, which celebraes 29 years of broadcasting this year. Since WHFR does not receive any government funding, more than 60 percent of its operating budget comes from donations.
This year’s pledge drive has a theme – “Get on Board” – to help generate funds for two new broadcast consoles (called boards in broadcast lingo) that WHFR needs to purchase to replace older, failing ones in its studios.
By pledging $30 or more, donors can enter into a drawing to win a weekend lease of a brand new Ford vehicle from Village Ford in Dearborn. To qualify, donors must be 21 or older and a licensed and insured driver. The drawing is May 31. The vehicle must be leased by June 30. Some restrictions apply.
In addition to the Ford vehicle weekend lease incentive, here are other incentives/prizes:
- $30 pledge: WHFR baseball cap with embroidered logo or WHFR stress-relief globe;
- $52 pledge: WHFR stainless steel travel mug or USB 8 GIG Flash drive with WHFR logo;
- $125 pledge: Grill Master BBQ apron with WHFR logo, oven mitt and towel;
- $250 pledge: Land’s End Jacket with embroidered WHFR logo or engraved brass leaf on WHFR’s Family Tree; and
- $500 pledge: Dinner (up to four people) at HFCC’s 5101 Restaurant with a tour of the WHFR studios.
All first-time pledgers who donate $30 or more receive a free WHFR stress-relief globe.
This year’s live events start early with a WHFR Radiothon Kickoff Party and Benefit Concert on Saturday, April 5, from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. at the New Place Lounge, located at 22723 Michigan Ave. in Dearborn. The event is a special blues review featuring some of Detroit's finest veteran artists, including a solo performance by Tino Gross of the Howling Diablos and the Paul Carey Trio with vocalist Benny Reeves. Attendees must be 21 and older to attend. Donations are $5 at the door. Food and beverages are available for purchase.
Other Radiothon 2014 special concerts and event listings include the following:
- Live band “Studio J” performances all week long.
- “The New WHFR Journal Special Edition” on Friday, April 11, from 1-2 p.m. Dearborn Mayor John B. O’Reilly, Jr. will comment on the State of the City speech, the upcoming November election, as well as other current city issues. People can email questions for the mayor to radio host Jay Korinek at email@example.com.
- New Blues CD giveaways in addition to the WHFR incentive items on ALL blues shows throughout Radiothon Week 2014.
- WHFR CD and Merchandise Sales Table on Thursday, April 10, from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the MacKenzie Fine Arts Center atrium, located on the main campus. Bins and bins of eclectic CDs – from mainstream to obscure – are available for a donation of $1 each. Open to the public.
- Special giveaways/promotion in addition to the WHFR incentive items on shows throughout Radiothon Week 2014.
To make a tax-deductible donation to WHFR, call (313) 845-9676. Donations can be made via credit card or an official form with a postage-paid return envelope can be sent right to your home. Additionally, donors can donate securely online at https://foundation.hfcc.edu/. Once there, click on the WHFR Radio link on the left side of page and follow prompts for donations.
Radiothon Week 2014 is open to the public. For further information about Radiothon Week 2014, contact Susan McGraw at (313) 842-9842 or firstname.lastname@example.org.