Engineering Competition For Students
Area high school students interested in pursuing a career in engineering are eligible to enter the HFC Engineering Competition on Saturday, April 16, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. This competition takes place in the Student & Culinary Arts Center (Building M) on the main campus. Entries are due March 16, 2016.
The competition offers two categories for students: current HFC students and area high school students. A team of three to five students will propose the best innovative engineering idea to solve an important problem. Students will have access to mentors at HFC throughout the course of this project and will present their findings to an outside panel on April 16. The winning teams will receive scholarships and other prizes from HFC.
Each team must build a prototype to demonstrate their idea. The cost of projects should be under $100, which will later be reimbursed upon submission of receipts and participation in the competition. Those who are interested in this competition must submit their entry at https://www.hfcc.net/engineeringcompetition (which also has the competition’s rules and guidelines) by Wednesday, March 16.
Teams will be judged upon the following criteria:
- Importance of the problem and the crucial need for a viable solution;
- Originality of the proposed solution and the creativity of the team;
- Performance of the prototype that was built for this competition;
- The safety of the prototype; and
- Presentation and documentation of prototype design process.
Each team must have a 36”x48” trifold poster on the design process of their prototype, which they use to develop their idea. The post must include the following sections:
- Introduction (research, problem statement, problem justification);
- Design (sketches);
- Construction and testing procedure; and
- Conclusion and lesson learned.
Please submit the poster to Dr. Hassan Nameghi, HFC Pre-Engineering coordinator, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, April 13.
For questions or further information, as well as a recommendation for mentor access, contact Nameghi at 313-317-1746 or via email at email@example.com.