Active shooter training every Wednesday
HFC is partnering with the Dearborn Police and Fire Departments to host a one-half day Active Shooter Training Session. Active Shooter situations are unpredictable and can escalate rapidly. This training provides guidance and scenarios to prepare properly in the event of a potential active shooter incident.
Participants may select from one of 10 Wednesdays, beginning Jan. 29 (see below) at 10:00 a.m. and running no later than 3:00 p.m.
NOTE: We will work with the Dearborn PD and FD to schedule future training sessions on different days of the week. For now, the training sessions are only on Wednesdays.
How the training works
- The Active Shooter Response Class (e.g. the "run, hide, fight" model) begins at 10:00 a.m. and runs until 11:30 a.m.
- At 11:30 a.m., the Active Shooter Scenario Base Training begins in the former SME Building, adjacent to the Welcome Center. It will end between 2:00 and 3:00 p.m., depending on the number of questions from the group.
NOTE: This scenario-based training does NOT include intensive, live-action role-play. It is not ALICE training. Instead, it allows individuals to learn about scenarios through a video, discussion, Q&A format. Volunteers may be asked to provide limited role-play or modeling for specific scenarios.
What to wear, what to bring
- We recommend you wear comfortable clothing that allows you to move around the room.
- You may bring your own food and beverage, if you wish. Food and beverages are not provided during the training.
- You may bring paper or laptop if you wish to take notes, but this is not required.
- Do not bring valuables. If you choose to partake in the Base Training exercise, there is no secured place to leave valuables during the exercise.
Scheduled sessions and sign-up
The Active Shooter Training will run every Wednesday, from Jan. 29 to April 1, beginning at 10:00 a.m. in the West Community Room, located in the Welcome Center (Bldg. WC).
Work groups and teams are encouraged to attend together. We recommend you notify your supervisor of your planned attendance. For more information or to register for a training session, contact Michael Ball at 313-317-6826 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Reginald Vaughn at 313-317-6831 or email@example.com.