Students: Try our real-time, video-enhanced class format!
Students at Henry Ford College have a real-time learning option that's more like a classroom. A team of faculty members has created a way to combine a dynamic in-class experience with the safety of remote learning.
Called Live without the Drive (LWD), the format means classes take place live, in real-time, using web-based video technology that is free and secure for you to use.
Live without the Drive classes do not meet on campus. They will meet online, in a live environment, at the regular class time. Students can take LWD classes from the comfort of their homes. Students will interact with their instructors in real time, asking questions, engaging in class discussions and activities, and learning in a format that is similar to a classroom environment.
Hundreds of class sections are available in the Live without the Drive format for Winter 2021, and you can enroll in these classes today!
What class format options will you have this winter at HFC?
To meet your needs and goals, you may take classes in a variety of formats this fall. To enhance student and faculty safety, about 70% of Henry Ford College classes will be fully online, either LWD or traditional formats, during the Fall semester.
Depending on what classes are available in your academic program, you may register for a combination of Live without the Drive classes, regular online classes, hybrid classes, and face-to-face classes. LWD classes will meet at a specified time, so remember to plan your class schedule to allow you to be at your computer to participate live.
How to choose your HFC class formats for Winter 2021
You may choose from the following types of classes, depending on which class formats are available in your academic program. Select the "Search for Classes" link on the HFC homepage or check the course catalog in Self Service to find available sections. See directions below for a description of how to search for each class format. You can also watch our video tutorial on this webpage.
- Live Without the Drive classes
- In course catalog, choose Advanced Search, "Location" menu, and select "100% OL w/Virtual Meetings"
- 100% online classes (traditional online format)
- In course catalog, choose Advanced Search, "Location" menu, and select "Online"
- Hybrid classes (partly online and partly on campus)
- In course catalog, choose Advanced Search, "Location" menu, and select "Hybrid (% OL & % On Campus)"
- Face-to-face classes on campus
- In course catalog, choose Advanced Search, "Location" menu, and select "Main Campus" or "East Campus"
- Face-to-face instruction off campus (clinicals, co-ops, internships / apprenticeships)
- In course catalog, choose Advanced Search, "Courses and Sections" menu, and select the course(s) in your program.
How to find out which specific classes are in which formats (video tutorial)
This 2-minute video will show you how to find out which classes are offered in the new Live without the Drive format, and all other class formats. The video mentions "fall" near the beginning, but the process is identical for Winter 2021.