Government Public Resources
Government Documents at HFC
Henry Ford College is designated as a selective U.S. Government Depository Library for Michigan’s 15th Congressional District.
- The Documents Collection includes publications in print, microfiche and electronic formats. The library provides public access to electronic government information available online.
- The majority of the Document Collection is located on the 1st floor, arranged by Superintendent of Documents classification number which organizes them in order by issuing agency. Most of the documents may be checked out. Some documents are integrated into the Reference Book or Circulating Book collections.
- CLARA, the library's online catalog, indicates the location and classification number for each document.
- Assistance in finding documents is available at the Reference Desk.
Find Your Government Representatives
- Project Vote Smart - Uses your ZIP Code to list all State and Federal officials for your district.
- Congress.gov - A guide to elected officials.
- USA.gov - Contact elected officials (Federal and State).
- United States House of Representatives - Official Site
- United States Senate - Official Site
- Michigan House of Representatives - Official Site
- Michigan Senate - Official Site
- City of Dearborn - Official Site
- City of Detroit - Official Site
- Wayne County - Official Site
- Oakland County - Official Site
- Michigan City, Village, and Township websites from the State of Michigan
Voting, Elections, Candidates, and Elected Officials
- Michigan Voter Information Center - From the Michigan Secretary of State Office.
- Project Vote Smart - Uses your Zip Code to list all State and Federal officials for your district.
- OpenCongress.org - Non-profit guide to elected officials.
- Federal Election Commission - Administers campaign finance regulations.
Research the World's Countries
- CIA World Factbook provides a summary of the demographics, geography, communications, government, economy, and military of 268 U.S. recognized countries, dependencies, and other areas in the world.
- Country Studies / Area Handbooks a description and analysis of the historical setting and the social, economic, political, and national security systems and institutions of countries throughout the world.
- Background Notes include facts about the land, people, history, government, political conditions, economy, and foreign relations of independent states, some dependencies, and areas of special sovereignty.
- Post Reports websites of U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions.
- Travel Information for Foreign Countries the latest info on passports, visas, travel tips and warnings, and health issues for travelers.
Career and Job Information from the Federal Government
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Career information including job prospects, earnings, and needed training and education.
- Occupational Outlook Quarterly - Articles written on a wide variety of career and work-related topics such as new and emerging occupations, training opportunities, salary trends, and results of new studies from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Career Guide to Industries - Information about the job markets in different states.
- Occupational Projections and Training Data - Detailed, comprehensive statistics used in preparing the Occupational Outlook Handbook.
- Find a Federal Government Job - The official job site of the Federal Government.
U.S. Presidential Documents
- Public Papers of the President of the United States - Compiled and published by the Office of the Federal Register, National Archives and Records Administration
- State of the Union Addresses
- Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents - Published every Monday and is the official publication of presidential statements, messages, remarks, and other materials released by the White House Press Secretary.
- Economic Report of the President
- Budget of the United States Government
- Federal Register - Official daily publication for rules, proposed rules, and notices of Federal agencies and organizations, as well as executive orders and other presidential documents.
Federal Government Public Information Databases
- USA.gov- The U.S. government's official web portal and search engine.
- GPO’s Federal Digital System (FDsys)- A service of the U.S. Government Printing Office that provides free online access to official publications from all three branches of the Federal Government.
- Congress - Federal legislative information including: Congressional Bills and Resolutions, Calendars, Committee Information, and Activity in Congress.
- Federal Register- Official daily publication for rules, proposed rules, and notices of Federal agencies and organizations, as well as executive orders and other presidential documents.
- Code of Federal Regulations- Codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the executive departments and agencies of the Federal Government.
- Congressional Record- Official record of the proceedings and debates of the United States Congress. It is published daily when Congress is in session.
- Catalog of U.S. Government Publications - Finding tool for federal publications that includes descriptive records for historical and current publications and provides direct links to those that are available online.
- U.S. Code - Consolidation and codification by subject matter of the general and permanent laws of the United States.
- Public Laws - Contains the text of public and private laws enacted from the 104th Congress to the present.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States - Authoritative and comprehensive summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States.
- FedStats - Search engine that provides access to the full range of official statistical information produced by the Federal Government.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States - Authoritative summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States.
- Criminal Justice Statistics - Information on crime, criminal offenders, victims of crime, and the operation of justice systems at all levels of government.
- Census Statistics from American FactFinder - Source for population, housing, economic, and geographic data.
- Business Statistics - Find economic and industry data from various government agencies.
- Labor Statistics - Impartial, timely, and accurate data relevant to the social and economic conditions of our Nation, its workers, and their families.
- Health Statistics - Information from The National Library of Medicine to assist you in locating authoritative health information.