Pre-Physical Therapist Assistant
Provides students with the general academic background to be successful in their chosen health care field. For students pursuing admision to the physical therapist assistant program, please follow these steps:
- Apply to the program. Students are strongly urged to meet with a health careers advisor within the first semester of course work.
- Complete the program admission course work.
- Complete the remaining program admission requirements
- Confirm with Health Careers Advisor completion of steps 1-3 and placement on the qualified/wait list.
- While on the qualified/wait list complete as many of the required general education and program support courses as possible.
All students receiving an Associate Degree are required to meet Degree-Specific Requirements AND General Education Requirements. Courses listed in the Required Core and/or Required Support Courses may also be used to fulfill Degree-Specific and General Education Requirements. Developmental courses (those numbered below 100) cannot be used to fulfill these requirements.
Attention: It is the student's responsibility to review the entire program form before making course selections for registration purposes. The College recommends that students meet with an advisor or counselor well in advance of registration deadlines and before making course selections.
Complete 24 credits from:
American Society, Events, Institutions and Cultures Outcome: Complete at least one course:
- ENG-235: American Literature Before 1900
- ENG-236: American Autobiography
- ENG-237: American Literature Since 1900
- CRJ-131: Introduction to Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice
- HIST-151: American History I
- HIST-152: American History II
- POLS-131: Introduction to American Government and Political Science
- SOC-131: Introduction to Sociology
- SSC-131: A Survey of the Social Sciences
Computer Literacy Outcome: Complete at least one course:
- ART-275: Advanced Projects
- BCA-140: Software Applications
- CIS-100: Introduction to Information Technology
- CIS-221: Instructional Technology for Elementary Teachers
- CIS-223: Instructional Technology for Secondary Teachers
- HCS-131: Computers in Health Care
- MFMT-103: Industrial Computer Application
- TAFD-115: Computer Applications for Skilled Trades
- CLT-100: Computer Literacy Test
Critical Thinking Outcome: Complete at least one non-activity based course numbered 100 or higher
Information Literacy and Written Communication Outcome: Take either English sequence:
Complete 6 Humanities credits from courses in:
Art, Dance, English (except ENG 131, 132, 135), Foreign Language, Interior Design, Journalism, Music, Philosophy, Science in Western Culture, Telecommunications, Speech, Theatre, World Religion
Complete 24 Science and Mathematics credits from courses in:
Astronomy, Atmospheric Studies, Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Physical Science, Physics
Complete 6 Social Science credits from courses in:
Anthropology, Criminal Justice, Economics, Geography, History, Political Science, Psychology, Social Science, Sociology
Required Core Courses
Required Support Courses
- NOTE: These courses are required for the Physical Therapists Assistant porgram.
** There are additional porgram admission requirements beyond admission course work. Please see the Physical Therapist Assistant Program of Study. (:Link to program page.)