Credentials successful students for employment opportunities in music and prepares students for further study at a university level. Students desiring an Associate in Arts degree with a major in music must have music reading skills and basic piano keyboarding skills. Students lacking these skills need to complete MUS 134 Music Fundamentals (3 credits) to develop music reading skills and MUS 117 Piano Class 1 (2 credits) to develop piano skills in addition to the courses listed below.
- Perform, within a historical context, on an instrument, keyboard or voice, as a soloist and in ensemble with tone, intonation, and style at the level of a second year University School of Music student.
- Analyze four-part compositions in 18th-century style (e.g. chorale) in all major and minor keys.
- Compose four-part compositions in 18th-century style (e.g. chorale) in all major and minor keys, applying appropriate melody, rhythm, chord progression, voicing, and phrasing.
Students concerned about their ability to read music or piano keyboarding skills are encouraged to contact music faculty.
All students receiving an Associate Degree are required to meet Degree-Specific Requirements AND General Education Requirements. Courses listed in the Required Core and/or Required Support Courses may also be used to fulfill Degree-Specific and General Education Requirements. Developmental courses (those numbered below 100) cannot be used to fulfill these requirements.
Attention: It is the student's responsibility to review the entire program form before making course selections for registration purposes. The College recommends that students meet with an advisor or counselor well in advance of registration deadlines and before making course selections.
The following courses are required in this program and satisfy HFC’s General Education Outcomes for this program. Students who change their program will need to confirm in advance that they are completing all required courses for their specific program of study, including additional General Education courses. All Associate in Arts degrees require at least 24 General Education credits total, including at least three credit hours, unless otherwise noted, from each of the five areas below. For this program:
Civil Society & Culture: Complete nine credit hours from the following:
- GEOG-132: World Regional Geography
- HIST-151: American History I
- HIST-152: American History II
- POLS-101: American Government: Democratic Participation and Civic Engagement
- POLS-131: Introduction to American Government and Political Science
- POLS-152: International Relations
- POLS-200: Introduction to Peace and Conflict Studies
- SOC-131: Introduction to Sociology
- SOC-152: Women, Men, and Society
- SOC-251: Ethnic and Racial Diversity in Society
Communication: Complete the following:
Computer Technology: Complete one of the following:
Critical Thinking & Information Literacy: Complete one of the following:
Quantitative Literacy: Complete at least four credit hours from the following:
- CHEM-131: Principles of Chemistry
- MATH-100: Basic Technical Mathematics
- MATH-101: Mathematics for Health Careers
- MATH-103: Technical Mathematics
- MATH-104: Mathematics for Food Service Careers
- MATH-109: Introduction to Algebra Part II
- MATH-110: Intermediate Algebra
- MATH-112: Trigonometry
- MATH-115: College Algebra
- MATH-121: Mathematics for Elementary Teachers I
- MATH-131: Mathematics for the Modern World
- MATH-141: Introduction to Statistics
- MATH-150: Finite Mathematics
- MATH-153: Calculus for Business, Life Science, and Social Sciences
- MATH-175: Precalculus
- MATH-180: Calculus I
- MATH-183: Calculus II
- MATH-221: Mathematics for Elementary Teachers II
- MATH-225: Mathematics for Elementary Teachers III
- MATH-280: Calculus III
- MATH-283: Linear Algebra
- MATH-289: Differential Equations
NOTE: For this program, General Education minimum credits: 25
Wellness Group: Complete at least one of the following:
- COUN-114: Stress Management - A Personal Approach
- HPE-140: Lifetime Wellness
- HPE-142: Advanced First Aid
- HPE-153: Nutrition
- HPEA-117: Strength Training and Physical Conditioning I
- HPEA-217: Strength Training and Physical Conditioning II
- HPEA-126: Aerobic Dance
- HPEA-155: Relaxation Techniques for Stress Management
- HPE-260: Nutrition, Health, and Physical Education for the Classroom Teacher
Humanities: This requirement is fulfilled within the Required Core Courses.
Science and Mathematics: This requirement is fulfilled within the Quantitative Literacy category in General Education requirements and the program Required Support courses.
Social Science: This requirement is fulfilled within the Civil Society & Culture category in General Education requirements.
NOTE: Minimum Credits for Degree-Specific: 2
Required Core Courses
*NOTE: MUS 117 - Piano Class 1 or performance placement required as prerequisite.
Required Support Courses
- Complete as many additional 100-level or above courses as necessary to reach the 60 credits required for an Associate in Arts degree.
Requirements are Subject to Change
- Eastern Michigan University
- Wayne State University
- Central Michigan University
Church music director
Community music director
Private music instructor