Energy Technology — Renewable Energy Basic
Certificate of Achievement
Provides students with knowledge and current concepts in renewable energy, and applies to students interested in an alternative to the current reliance on fossil fuels.
- Distinguish the full range of renewable energy technologies and their applications.
- Describe how mechanical components of renewable energy technologies that are economically relevant work (wind, solar PV, solar thermal, batteries, geothermal, small hydropower, fuel cells, alternatively fueled vehicles, and biomass).
- Demonstrate basic principles of electrical repair and installation while employing appropriate safety measures.
- Demonstrate the installation, maintenance, and repair of small wind generators, solar PV, solar thermal hot water systems, basic biomass. combustion systems, and above-ground components of geothermal systems following manufacturer specifications.
- Compare and contrast the environmental impact and economic role of both traditional and alternative energy supplies.
- Perform building energy audits for residential and commercial buildings.
- Perform energy efficient upgrades to building envelopes, HVAC equipment, and controls.
- Describe and apply mechanical, building, plumbing, electrical, and energy codes, standards, local ordinances, and state and federal regulations.
Required Core Courses
Minimum Number Of Credits To Graduate:
10.0 (Including Options/Electives)
Requirements are Subject to Change
Industrial Technology Division • (313) 845-9656 • firstname.lastname@example.org • Technology Bldg • Room: E-172