Offers an in-depth study of the multiple systems found on today’s vehicles, including electrical, fuel, ignition, power, and drive train. Provides a thorough exposure to the technical aspects of the automobile, and to develop manual and critical thinking skills related to diagnostics, servicing, and testing. Courses provide a broad technical background for individuals interested in automotive technology and related industries.
Laboratory classes offer hands-on experience designed to strengthen understanding of the theoretical concerns outlined during lecture periods. Laboratories possess many of the latest equipment currently used to service today's automobiles, including representative types of various engines, chassis, transmissions, rear axles, and testing equipment.
- Develop knowledge of the career opportunities in the automotive service industry.
- Develop the requisite entry-level skills and knowledge for employment in the automotive service industry.
- Demonstrate the utilization of safety hazards standards/precautions as associated with the automotive service industry and develop and demonstrate the necessary skills to work safely in auto labs and service shop environments.
- Demonstrate the characteristics and standards of professionalism that contribute to an effective job performance in a manner that include behavior, appearance, and punctuality.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills both in the written and verbal forms to communicate difficult and technical information to others, including fellow students, instructors, and/or customers.
- Apply the learned theories of automotive technology to specific situations to reach conclusion resulting in the proper diagnosis and repair through the use of interpreted data, previous experiences and to identify root causes.
- Demonstrate the utilization of technology reflective to the task to effectively retrieve information to solve complex problems through critical analysis to ensuring adequate preparations for the advancements that take place in the automotive technology industry.
All students receiving an Associate Degree are required to meet Degree-Specific Requirements AND General Education Requirements. Courses listed in the Required Core and/or Required Support Courses may also be used to fulfill Degree-Specific and General Education Requirements. Developmental courses (those numbered below 100) cannot be used to fulfill these requirements.
Attention: It is the student's responsibility to review the entire program form before making course selections for registration purposes. The College recommends that students meet with an advisor or counselor well in advance of registration deadlines and before making course selections.
The following courses are required in this program and satisfy HFC’s General Education Outcomes for this program. Students who change their program will need to confirm in advance that they are completing all required courses for their specific program of study, including additional General Education courses. All Associate in Applied Science degrees require at least 15 General Education credits total, including at least three credits from each of the five areas below. For this program:
Civil Society and Culture: Complete at least one of the following:
Computer Technology Outcome: Complete the following:
Communication: Complete the following:
Critical Thinking and Information Literacy: Complete the following:
Quantitative Literacy: Complete at least one of the following:
Fulfill the Required Core, Required Support, and/or Elective Courses for this program.
Required Core Courses
Required Support Courses
Requirements are Subject to Change
The Automotive Technology program is certified by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) and the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF) Board.
- Davenport University
- Eastern Michigan University
- Lawrence Technological University
- Siena Heights University
- University of Michigan - Dearborn
- Wayne State University
• Diagnostic Technician
• Dynamometer Technician
• Parts Manager
• Product Test Technician
• Service Manager
• Service Technician