From November - December 2019, we are conducting an analysis of the Henry Ford College Campus Safety system. President Kavalhuna has asked a task force, led by Vice President Daniel Herbst, to evaluate and report on our Campus Safety service level.
The task force will make a recommendation that President Kavalhuna may make to the Board of Trustees about whether HFC Campus Safety system should remain as it is or be adjusted.
Factors for consideration
The Campus Safety system is designed to serve you. So we need to know what you think and feel about whether our Campus Safety system is meeting the educational, safety, and security needs of our College.
Some of the factors we are considering in our Campus Safety analysis include:
- What our current Campus Safety services are, and how they compare to similar regional institutions.
- The number of HFC personnel and the number of contract security personnel we employ, and what their respective duties are and should be.
- Whether some or all of our Campus Safety officers should have arrest authority.
- Whether some or all of our Campus Safety officers should carry firearms.
- The unique nature of our campus population, and how our community might be affected by any changes in our Campus Safety department.
We recognize that any changes to our current Campus Safety system will have both intended and unintended effects. We appreciate the full participation of our campus community in this work.
Your participation: Campus forums and survey
We invited everyone on campus to participate in our open forums that took place through mid-November.
Weds., Nov. 6, 3:00 p.m., Welcome Center Community Rooms
Thurs., Nov. 7, 11:30 a.m., Rosenau Rooms, ASCC (L) Building
Fri., Nov. 8, 10:00 a.m., East Campus Nursing Building (Nursing students)
Tues., Nov. 12, 10:30 a.m., Berry Auditorium, ASCC (L) Building
Weds., Nov. 6, 11:30 a.m., Welcome Center Community Rooms
Thurs., Nov. 7, 3:30 p.m., Rosenau Rooms, ASCC (L) Building
Tues., Nov. 12, 3:00 p.m., Welcome Center Community Rooms
Community forums (everyone is welcome):
Weds., Nov. 6, 6:00 p.m., Welcome Center Community Rooms
Thurs., Nov. 7, 6:00 p.m., Rosenau Rooms, ASCC (L) Building
Tues., Nov. 12, 6:00 p.m., Berry Auditorium, ASCC (L) Building
Each forum included:
A presentation about our Campus Safety system and its services, and what our data and experiences tell us about the safety and security needs of our campuses.
An opportunity for discussion for you to ask questions and make comments.
An opportunity to fill out an anonymous survey about our Campus Safety system and services.
Share your perspectives. Fill out our survey. (NOTE: Survey was active through the month of November, and closed Dec. 1)
The survey is completely anonymous. The online version is preferred, because it is easier for us to collect and analyze the data. However, we will provide paper copies for individuals who prefer that format. If you want a paper survey, print out this PDF document.
Resources and links
HFC Campus Safety Service Level Community Survey (closed Dec. 1, 2019)
HFC Campus Safety data and service level options comparisons (PDF)
This document shows HFC data, comparative data, and options used by other community colleges.
HFC Forums presentation about Campus Safety (PDF)
This is the presentation that is being shared at the HFC Campus Safety open forums.
About the task force
HFC Campus Safety Service Level charge and task force (PDF)
This document describes the Task Force's charge, process, data gathering, timeline, and deliverables.
If you have questions about the Campus Safety Service Level Analysis process or the forums, please contact one of the task force leaders:
• Chair Daniel Herbst, Vice President for Student Affairs: email@example.com
• Karen Schoen, Campus Safety Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Rhonda DeLong, Director of Marketing and Communications: email@example.com
• Kimberly Kaier, Assistant to the Dean, School of STEM
• Munira Kassim, Student Conduct/Compliance and Title IX Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Jeff Morford, Math faculty: email@example.com
• Tessa Betts, Librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org