Dual Enrollment: High school and college together

Henry Ford College offers several Dual Enrollment programs.

Learn about all our Dual Enrollment options here.

Dual enrollment programs allow eligible students at participating high schools to take approved HFC courses for college credit, and have the tuition costs covered by their high school.

Students must submit a special Dual Enrollment application for each semester in which they plan to enroll in both HFC courses and high school courses. The application for admission is available on the HFC website. The directions to apply for admission are under the “Apply for Dual Enrollment” section below. Dual Enrollment students desiring placement in Mathematics, Chemistry or English courses are required to take the appropriate placement tests.


Interested students should contact their high school counseling office to discuss opportunities regarding Dual Enrollment/Advancement Plus.

If a student is not eligible for Dual Enrollment, they can enroll at HFC through Advancement Plus. Advancement Plus is a program in which public, private, or home-schooled students may take college courses that are paid for by the student’s parent(s)/guardian(s).

Course Eligibility

  • Career, academic, and technical courses not offered by the public school in which the student is enrolled; and
  • Career, academic, and technical courses offered by the public school in which the student is enrolled, but is determined by the school district to not be available to the student because of scheduling conflicts beyond the student’s control.

Applying for Dual Enrollment

  1. Speak with Your High School Counselor
    Discuss with your high school counselor which classes best meet your needs.
  2. Complete the Application
    Complete the online application. See the application instructions for more information.
  3. Complete the Payment Authorization Process
    Complete the Payment Authorization form. If you are enrolled at Dearborn, Fordson, or Edsel Ford High School please disregard this form.


Students who do not have ACT or SAT scores, or if scores do not meet course requirements, will be required to take a placement test.

Register for Classes

All dual enrollment students must meet with their high school counselor before registering for classes at HFC. Students may take courses at HFC during the high school district’s regular academic year, which coincides with HFC’s fall, winter, and spring semesters. Students may enroll for all times: morning, afternoon, evening, online, and Saturdays.

Follow the registration steps.

Dual Enrollment Orientation

Students who are new to the Dual Enrollment program are required to attend a Dual Enrollment Orientation (DEO) session. These sessions will help students have a better understanding of what is expected of them as college students and will go over some of the major differences between high school and college. DEO will also cover the services available to them on the HFC campus.

Dearborn Public School students will be able to attend an orientation session scheduled at their high school during the school day. All other students will be able to attend a session on the HFC campus.

For additional information about DEO and to find out when session dates are, please visit the Dual Enrollment Orientation page.


Eligible students may enroll in HFC courses for high school credit(s) or college credit(s) or both. If high school credit(s) is granted, it shall be counted toward the graduation and subject area requirements of the student’s school district.


Through Dual Enrollment, the student’s tuition and any technology, service, course and/or registration fees shall be paid for by the school district in which they are enrolled.


For additional information, please call an Enrollment Associate at 800-585-HFCC (4322).

Information for High School Counselors

Dual Enrollment Guide