International student applicants are those who have a non-immigrant status while in the U.S. that allows the applicant to attend college (for more information, see the section on International Student Applicants.)
Just complete the steps below and you will be ready to start classes. You can complete these steps online or you can visit the Welcome Center if you would like in-person help.
NOTE: If you were previously admitted as a First Time, Transfer, or International Student, you do NOT need to submit this application again. You are ready to register for classes. Previous Guest Students who are applying as a Domestic or International Student do need to submit the application below.
If you have graduated from HFCC, you do not need to re-apply. Please complete a Change of Program form to be ready to register.
Complete the Application for Admission
- Apply online here.
- After completing an application, you will be billed a $30 nonrefundable application fee.
Additional Requirements for Admission
International Students with a visa other than F-1 International Student Applicants without an F-1 visa will need to demonstrate proof of meeting admissions requirements listed in No. 3 below AND provide a copy of a valid passport.
International Students seeking an F-1 visa HFCC is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students. The College is authorized by the Department of Homeland Security to issue the Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant (F-1) Students, also known as the I-20 Form.
The following information must be provided to the College prior to the granting of admission and the issuance of the I-20:
- Completed HFCC International Student application.
- Completed HFCC Student Information Form.
- Proof of meeting the admission requirements. For details on documents required, go to the Transcript Request page.
- Proof of English Proficiency. Proof can be met by providing ONE of the following: * A score of 550 on the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) paper test * A score of 213 on the TOEFL computer-based test * A score of 80 on the TOEFL Internet based test * A score of 76 on the MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) OR * A score of 6 on the IELTS exam. Applicants who score below these benchmark scores will be reviewed for consideration for attendance in HFCC’s English Language Institute. If you are a native of certain countries, you do not need to prove English proficiency. See a list of countries where English proficiency is not required.
- Financial Support. The applicant must acknowledge that sufficient funds are, or will be, available to defray all expenses during the entire period of anticipated study. Applicants must provide documentary evidence that specific funds are available to cover the first year. Specific amounts required may change; current requirements are available on HFCC’s web site, at www.hfcc.edu/international.
Financial requirements proof can be demonstrated by: a. Notarized Affidavit of Support (form available at the International webpage) AND a current bank statement (no older than three months from the issuance of the I-20) OR b. Notarized Affidavit of an official Government sponsor.
Official transcripts are those that are sent directly from one institution to another, and are not handled by the student (even if they are in sealed envelopes). Mail any required documents to:
Admissions, Recruitment and Enrollment Development
Henry Ford Community College
5101 Evergreen Road
Dearborn MI 48128
Click here for tips on how to request official documents from previous schools/organizations.
You will need an I-20 for a F1 visa. This category is specifically for students who will be allowed to enter the USA on an F1 visa. This means that HFCC and the student will process the necessary paperwork to legally permit the student to attend HFCC. The student must be full time and degree seeking.