Dual Enrollment Students: Attending Both High School & College

Henry Ford College is a participant in the Dual Enrollment Program, in which students attend both high school and college courses. Students must submit a special Dual Enrollment Application for each semester in which they plan to enroll in both Henry Ford College courses and courses in high school. The application, which is available at the high school or in the link below, must be signed by his or her high school counselor or principal. The signature of a parent is not required from an applicant who can demonstrate emancipated legal status. Dual Enrollment students desiring placement in Mathematics, Chemistry or English courses are required to take appropriate placement tests. There is no application fee. Tuition and fees are paid by the school district in which the Dual Enrollment student resides. Please follow the steps to apply for Dual Enrollment.

  1. Speak with Your High School Counselor
    Discuss with your high school counselor which classes best meet your needs.

  2. Complete an Application to HFC
    See the application instructions for more information.

What is Dual Enrollment?

Dual Enrollment allows public high school students to take college courses that are paid for by the student's school district or charter school. This program allows eligible students the opportunity to receive college credit while still in high school.

Who is eligible?

Interested students should contact their high school counseling office to discuss opportunities regarding Dual Enrollment/Advancement Plus.

What courses are eligible?

  • Career, academic, and technical courses not offered by the public school in which the student is enrolled.
  • Career, academic, and technical courses offered by the public school in which the student is enrolled, but is determined by the school district to not be available to the student because of scheduling conflicts beyond the student’s control.

When may students attend Dual Enrollment courses?

Students may take courses at HFC during the high school district’s regular academic year, which coincides with HFC’s fall, winter, and spring semesters. Students may enroll for all times: morning, afternoon, evening, online, and Saturdays.


  • Eligible students may enroll in HFC courses for high school credit(s) or college credit(s) or both.
  • If high school credit(s) is granted, it shall be counted toward the graduation and subject area requirements of the student’s school district.

Who pays for Dual Enrollment?

Through Dual Enrollment, the student’s tuition and any technology, service, course and/or registration fees shall be paid for by the school district.

What if a student is not eligible for Dual Enrollment?

If a student is not eligible for Dual Enrollment, he or she can enroll at HFC through Advancement Plus.

What is Advancement Plus?

  • Advancement Plus is a program in which public, private, or home-schooled students may take college courses that are paid for by the student’s parent(s)/guardian(s).
  • Home-schooled students must get the approval of the HFC Counseling Director, before he or she can be considered for Advancement Plus. Please contact 313-845-9611.

For additional information, please call an Enrollment Associate at 800-585-HFCC (4322).

The Post-Secondary Enrollment Options Act Update Memorandum is available online at the State of Michigan website (search for dual enrollment).