Henry Ford College

Official Documents: What HFC Requires for Admission and Tips on How You Can Request Them

To complete the admissions process, you must provide documents that show proof of meeting HFC's admission requirements. Below you'll find what to do if you:

  • are a high school graduate,
  • earned a GED,
  • were home schooled,
  • attended an international high school or college,
  • attended another US college.

Scroll down for complete instructions.

What is an Official Transcript?

  • Only transcripts sent directly from the school, institution or agency will be accepted. Transcripts you submit yourself are not official transcripts (even if they are in a sealed envelope).

High School Graduate Only

If you graduated from a U.S. high school, please have your high school mail your final, official transcript showing proof of graduation with a diploma from a regionally accredited, or state-approved high school to HFC. Final transcripts are those that indicate your date of graduation. You may also use the Parchment system to have an electronic copy sent.

If you are graduating this year

  • Contact your counseling office at your high school, and request the transcript be sent after your graduation information has been posted.

If you graduated prior to this year

  • And you are unable to get a transcript from your high school, try contacting the Board of Education office for the district in which you attended school.
  • For private schools, contact the high school you attended.

For closed schools

  • Search online to see what institution is keeping the transcript records on behalf of the closed school or contact the board of education office for the district representing the district in which you went to high school.
    • For example, Inkster High School transcripts are now held by Wayne RESA. To make a request for Inkster HS transcripts complete the Wayne RESA transcript request form online.
    • Highland Park Community High School (1952-2012 only), Highland Park Adult Ed/Career Academy requests can be made by following the directions on Highland Park's web site.
    • For closed charter schools and public school academies, you may want to check with the original authorizer of the school. For example, Charlotte Forten Academy closed in 2008 but Wayne RESA holds the student records.
    • For closed Catholic schools check with the diocese or archdiocese in which the school operated. For example, records for closed Catholic schools in Detroit are held by the Archdiocese of Detroit.

Dearborn Public School graduates

  • If you graduated in 2003 or later, you should always use Parchment (www.parchment.com) for transcript requests.
  • If you graduated before 2003, you should request transcripts from the DPS Office of Student Services. Dearborn Schools will e-mail a PDF attachment of the transcript to HFC.

Detroit Public Schools graduates

Use this form to request your transcript. DPS will e-mail a PDF attachment of the transcript to HFC.

Graduates of online high schools

Find out more about which institutions are accredited here.

If you need help asking your school to send us an official, final transcript, use this form as a guide to help describe what HFC requires.

If You Earned a GED

If you completed and passed a GED program, please have the testing center or agency send us an official, final GED transcript from an official GED testing center showing passing of the GED. A High School Equivalency Certificate is unacceptable documentation for admission to HFC.

If you took the GED in Michigan

If you took the GED at a VISIONS testing center in the US

  • You may be able to request your transcript from the VISIONS testing center.

If you are unsure of who to contact

If you are an International GED Test-taker

If you took the GED in the military

If you took the GED overseas

If you took the GED in a correctional facility

If You Attended an International High School or College

If you graduated from a non-U.S. High School you must have your documents translated and evaluated by an outside agency and demonstrate that you have earned at least the equivalent of a U.S. High School Diploma. Proof can be met by providing one of the following:

  • An official evaluation (in English) demonstrating that you earned the equivalent of a U.S. high school diploma equal to that granted by a regionally accredited U.S. high school. You must use an approved evaluation service. To find a service visit this website and click on “Current members."
  • An official evaluation (in English) demonstrating that you earned the equivalent to a degree (associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, or professional degree) from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university. You must use an approved evaluation service. To find a service visit this website and click on “Current members."

If You Earned a Degree from a U.S. College

If you earned a degree at a U.S. college or university, you must have official transcripts from a regionally accredited college or university showing proof of a college degree (Associates, Bachelors, Masters or Professional Degree) submitted to HFC. If you have not earned a degree, please follow the directions for a High School Graduate.

  • Contact the Registrar’s Office at the college you attended, or visit their website for information on how to request an official transcript.
  • Check your online student portal system to see if you can make the official transcript request electronically.
  • If the college you attended is closed, visit this website for a list of institutions that are keeping the transcript records on behalf of closed schools.

If You Attended a Home School

If you were home schooled, please submit documentation of both of the following:

  • have a parent or guardian certify that the applicant has completed his or her high school education. This can be accomplished by the parent providing a signed statement that the student has completed high school or providing a high school transcript showing a diploma from the home school; AND
  • provide official ACT scores showing the applicant has met or exceeded the ACT College Readiness Benchmarks in English and math: an English score of 18 or higher and a math score of 22 or higher.

Where to Have Your Documents Sent

Please request that your documents be sent by ONE of the following methods: