University Transfer, Advising and Career Counseling
The University Transfer, Advising, and Career Counseling Center is located on the first floor of the Learning Resource Center. We offer the services below.
Let's Talk Now!
Make your academic advising appointment today. Get ready for registration. Call 313-845-9612 today and schedule your appointment.
Our goal at Academic Advising at Henry Ford Community College is to assist you in selecting a career path. This service provides advice to students regarding the implementation of their educational goals. Counselors advise students in the following areas:
- Selection of courses related to an educational program/curriculum/degree
- Selection of an appropriate schedule/times for classes
- Time management or balance of number of courses with life styles
- Study skills planning and development
HFCC offers four ways for you to connect your goals to a career path.
- In-Person Advising: Call the University Transfer, Advising, and Career Counseling Center at 313-845-9611 or 313-845-9612.
- Online Advising: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Online Advising." In the message indicate the academic pathway or your area of interest or goal.
- Self-Service Advising: Click here to link to the Programs of Study page that provides career pathways (guide sheets) for each of the degrees and certificates that HFCC offers.
- Online Program Evaluation (Degree Audit): HFCC's WebAdvisor offers an interactive online evaluation of your progress toward the completion of a degree or certificate. You must be a currently enrolled HFCC student with a WebAdvisor password to access this service.
This service assists students in the lifelong process of choosing, planning, and preparing for appropriate careers. All of our counselors are State of Michigan Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC) or Limited Licensed Professional Counselors (LLPC) and many have additional National Board of Certified Counseling certifications in counseling (NCC) and career counseling (NCCC).
Career planning services include:
- Selection of a career path and a plan to implement this path through selection of formal education, training, and practical experience.
- Assessment of interests, values, and skills through standardized assessments and self assessment.
- Career Resource Center
We are dedicated to providing students with a comprehensive program of counseling services.Assistance and support during career/life transitions.
- Stop Test Anxiety
- Change of self-defeating behaviors
- Stress/anxiety reduction
- Coping with change
Transferring HFCC Credits To Other Colleges & Universities
This service assists students with the selection of courses taught at HFCC which will transfer to other colleges and universities. The following resources are available.
Transfer Guides are the outlines of classes that students intending to transfer to a four-year institution should follow. Each transfer institution typically has a Transfer Guide for specific majors; and it also has Transfer Guides for those students who may be undecided or are planning to transfer in a Liberal Arts direction.
HFCC Counselors are available to help all students interpret the Transfer Guides as well as select or narrow down the choices of a transfer institution. HFCC’s University Transfer, Advising, and Career Counseling Center currently has Transfer Guides on “hard copy” of the major institutions in Michigan.
Below are the transfer institutions that currently have their Transfer Guides available “online.” Select the transfer institution below and then select the program (Transfer Guide) that you wish to see. These Transfer Guides are in a format which allows you to print a hard copy exactly as it appears in our office. As additional institutions make the Transfer Guides available, they will also appear as links.
- Central Michigan University
- Eastern Michigan University
- Ferris State University
- Franklin University
- Grand Valley State University
- Kettering University
- Lawrence Technological University
- Michigan Technological University
- Northern Michigan University
- Oakland University
- University of Detroit Mercy
- University of Michigan - Dearborn
- Walsh College
- Wayne State University
COURSE EQUIVALENCY LISTS
Equivalency guides, which are alphabetical listings of HFCC classes and their transferability to other colleges and universities.
Lists for many Michigan colleges and universities are available on a help-yourself basis in the file cabinets in the reception area of the Counseling Center.
Michigan College Mall online can also provide course equivalency information.
The articulation agreements are guides for students following specific programs at HFCC.
Meet Our Counselors
Read the latest news and tips offered by Counselors. Click here.
Hours and Location
The University Transfer, Advising, and Career Counseling Center is located on the first floor of the Learning Resources Center (LRC), on the north side (parking lot side) of the building. See a map of campus.
Monday – Thursday, 8:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
To see a counselor, call 313-845-9611 or 313-845-9612 or send an email to email@example.com. Include in the subject line "Counselor Appointment." In the message provide your name and telephone number, and we will contact you regarding counselor availability.